PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front-end noise (sounds like I have a 4x4 truck)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Oct 2011, 07:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Front-end noise (sounds like I have a 4x4 truck)

I have a 2008 PT 2.4L automatic that has just started to make a front-end noise that is hard to handle. It happens at 40 mph and if I was beside you on the high-way and you were not looking over at the car, you'd think that there was a massive 4x4 truck rumbling beside you. It drives fine, no steering issues, no clicking from the CV's, brakes are fine when pressing them hard. Only thing is the loud noise and some vibration on the steering wheel.

I was just wondering if anyone has encountered this before or knows someone who has and what the main issue was. Not sure if it's the bearings, bushings or control arm or all the above.

If someone could help me out, that would be awesome. I already have found Rockauto for parts, so all I need is a little help with the front-end noise.
Old 28 Oct 2011, 07:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Front-end noise (sounds like I have a 4x4 truck)

Maybe one of your tires is coming apart, maybe it's one of the things you mentioned. Your going to have to get it up on a rack to look at things underneath. Better yet, a rack that lets the tires spin freely to test the wheels and parts that are related. Noise to one person is different to another. All we can do is guess. Get a professional to look it over. Most shops will do it for free so they can sell you the parts to fix it.
Old 28 Oct 2011, 08:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

I kind of figured that I would - problem is that I'm new to the area and don't know of any honest shops that would do me right.

Thanks for the response though..
Old 28 Oct 2011, 10:00 am
Regular Cruiser

Does the sound/vibration increase with speed and decrease when slowing down?

Sounds like you might have a wheel bearing issue.
Old 28 Oct 2011, 10:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, but then at or around 35, it stops. So, I'm not sure if it's the bearings or the darn tires, which are a little worn, but have seen worse in my days.

So I duno if I should just lift it up and move the front tires to the rear (since the rears are perfect tread dept) and drive it to see if the noise continues and for some reason it doesn't, then take the tires off the rear and to the garage for tire replacement / balance..

??
Old 28 Oct 2011, 11:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That's sounds like a fast, free way of seeing if the noise is coming from the tires and By The Way, the two better tires should always be on the front anyway on a front wheel drive car.
Old 28 Oct 2011, 11:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

True, they should. I just hoping that it is the tires and not the bearings or something else that is going to be a pain to deal with. I have gone through this with my Limited Edition Ford - way too many times...

Will update the results after the tire swap this weekend. Crossing my fingers, but counting on the worst...
Old 31 Oct 2011, 02:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I rotated the tires (fronts to the back/backs to the front) - at least now I know that it wasn't the tires making the noise, so I'm basically back to the drawing board. Does anyone know why at the end of the drive shaft (both left and right side) there is an exposed gear just behind the rotar assembly? Just before the gear, there is a metal retaining clip and which holds a rubber boot in place. It is not ripped and in perfect condidtion and doesn't seem like there was a boot covering this gear. I'm just not sure why the gear would be exposed to all the underneath elements? I did however spray the gear and all over the joints as one of the forums mentioned that they sprayed WD40 and that worked for them, but didn't for me, but it did silent the noise a bit (not as loud) ??
Old 31 Oct 2011, 04:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I think your supposed to have a boot over that gear next to the rotor.

Old 03 Nov 2011, 09:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Nope. Nothing. Exposed to the world and I don't see anything that shows that a boot was ever there. No excess rubber or anything, but I did find it strange that the gear (whatever it is and/or does) would be exposed like this and on both sides. Both in the same shape. It also seems that since I rotated the tires it has become more bothersome..Looking for a local repair shop today to look at it to pin point what this could be. I will post what it was for those whom may ask the same question that I did to possibly help them out.