PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air Conditioning Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Oct 2011, 08:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Air Conditioning Problem

Hello, everyone!

While decorating my front yard for Halloween, my wife drove in from work and told me the Air Conditioning wasn't blowing cold. The first thing I thought of was that my radiator fan had gone kaput again. But my wife said there was no sputtering at idle, and when I turned on the engine, then turned on the A/C, the fan came on--but not immediately. Also, the A/C doesn't blow cold while cruising down the road, either.

So I don't think it's the fan.

I noticed however, that the left A/C line, the suction line, I believe--just above the top motor mount (strut) had some black/green substance on it--at either side of a black cap. I have no idea what this cap is for. I assume it's for filling with refrigerant. However, I don't really know, since when I look at the photo in my Hayne's Manual, it seems that when the guy is filling with R-134A, that he's got the hose attached to the other line (the discharge line).

Can anyone tell me why a leak would occur at this suction line cap area? I'm pretty sure it's a refrigerant leak because when I had a busted compressor hose, the compressor oil coming from it was the same color green.

Is it high pressure? And if so, why would the pressure increase in the three years since my A/C was completely replaced? It's not as if I added any refrigerant in all that time.

Or is there some kind of valve under the cap that has a tendancy to leak?

Well, let me know.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 28 Oct 2011, 08:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Air Conditioning Problem

Tim,

I can't answer all your questions but maybe this thread will help. Read both pages.

AC recharge port for 2005 classic
Old 28 Oct 2011, 10:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks, Crewzin. I'll give it a shot.

Tim
Old 28 Oct 2011, 10:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well, I read both pages. Informative--and confusing. I suppose the model year has a lot to do with the location of ports.

I have a 2003 Limited.

I undid the dust cap (I assume it's a dust cap because it was just sitting on the small (suction) line--just above the upper motor strut; and inside the dust cap, there was oil. There appeared to be a vavle inside the port under this cap, similar to the valve in a tire stem. I put the cap back on and screwed it till it was just snug--although it was not screwed on when I first removed it.

I'm hoping that this valve on the suction line simply "gave out" and caused my R-134A to leak in the suction-line area around the the dust cap.

There is a similar (but not quite the same) dust cap on the fatter line next to the suction line. I assume in the 2003's that this is where I might hook up a can of refrigerant and fill up 'er up. I'd try this but I'm afraid that I also lost compressor oil--and I do NOT want to incur the cost of a new compressor, due to lack of lubricant.

Well, next week I'll take the PT in and see what's up.

Thanks again, Crewzin.

Tim
Old 29 Oct 2011, 01:13 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
Well, I read both pages. Informative--and confusing. I suppose the model year has a lot to do with the location of ports.

I have a 2003 Limited.

I undid the dust cap (I assume it's a dust cap because it was just sitting on the small (suction) line--just above the upper motor strut; and inside the dust cap, there was oil. There appeared to be a vavle inside the port under this cap, similar to the valve in a tire stem. I put the cap back on and screwed it till it was just snug--although it was not screwed on when I first removed it.

I'm hoping that this valve on the suction line simply "gave out" and caused my R-134A to leak in the suction-line area around the the dust cap.

There is a similar (but not quite the same) dust cap on the fatter line next to the suction line. I assume in the 2003's that this is where I might hook up a can of refrigerant and fill up 'er up. I'd try this but I'm afraid that I also lost compressor oil--and I do NOT want to incur the cost of a new compressor, due to lack of lubricant.

Well, next week I'll take the PT in and see what's up.

Thanks again, Crewzin.

Tim
The recharge kit I purchased said "with oil" on the can. I recharged it about 5 weeks ago and still running cool.
Old 29 Oct 2011, 01:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

and unless i am wrong the refill cans and kits will ONLY fit on one side which im guiessing is the correct side
Old 29 Oct 2011, 06:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It just seems like Chrysler couldn't make up their mind where to put the low side port for recharging. It started out with both high and low ports right on top next to the passenger strut tower. Then there was a recall because the fuel line was rubbing against one of the A/C lines and could cause a fire, so they ti-wrapped the fuel line away from danger for the recall. The next year they moved the low side port completely and it seems some were moved down to the compressor, some models had only one port on the opposite line than what it used to be on and still other had no top port at all. As you said Tim, informative and confusing.