Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Head Gasket gone used K-Seal for a temporary fix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Oct 2011, 08:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Head Gasket gone used K-Seal for a temporary fix

In continuation from my posts on the situation of the cooling problem....

Cruiser overheats at highway speeds

This is a first using a chemical "fix", I am very skeptical about these types of products. I do have experience doing head jobs, but these PT's take a good chunk of time.

So, I used K-Seal on the PT to temporarily stop the overheating issue. I learned of this product though Land Rover parts retailers and read though vague testimonials. I also found out that Subaru sells a cooling system "conditioner", which looks to be the same thing.

So this morning, I began the process. I warmed up the engine while filling up the system. Once the system was full and the engine fully warmed, I poured in the K-Seal....no turning back now. I let the car idle for about 10 minutes, then rev'ing up to 3 grand for about 2 minutes. The engine temps were steady below the mid-line.

I then took off, drove though the back roads to the freeway. I headed towards the mountain pass which has a good include for about 10 miles. Down the other side towards the next city, I exited and returned on the freeway back up the pass, temps good, but slightly fluctuated. This side has a steeper incline, which was a good time see if the temp go up....it stayed steady. Back home, I let it idle for about 5 minutes, letting the fan cycle though. Turn off the engine and noticed a little overflow.

About an hour later, I checked the level, applied more coolant and bleed. No air lock. Drove my wife to the store, though town. Then, dropped her off at home, then headed towards the freeway and pass again, A/C fully on. The ambient temperature is much hotter, so this test will be the one. I dogged it harder and no overheat, temps are really stable. I parked on the drive way and this time, no overflow.

It seems to be working....believe or not. On Tuesday, I will be heading back out to my office, which is about a 100 mile commute. I will report back then of the progress. If the PT can make it back from that drive, then all should be good for now.

I am prepping a list of all the parts I will need for the head gasket replacement. I am also including the cost to replace the actual head too, just in case it is cracked.

2005 Touring Black - Automagic....California Smog Legal

H&R Cup Kit | TSW Sakata 18x8 35ET | Nankang NS-II 235/40/18 | SPC front alignment cam - rear shim | Master Pro Rotors | Master Pro Ceramic F/R pads | Rebuilt Cylinder Head - Safety Valves and Guides | Felpro Head Gasket and upper rebuild kit | Fail-safe 195 degree thermostat | Mopar Waterpump...lol | 3rd radiator fan motor | Gates timing belt kit | WIX filters (oil, transmission) | Mobile 1 5w30 | Mopar ATF4 | Redline Water Wetter | K&N Drop-In | 4th Drive side Axle | Energy Suspension Torque Mounts | 3rd set of Torque Mounts...
Old 29 Oct 2011, 08:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Head Gasket gone used K-Seal for a temporary fix

Never seen a cracked head.

There's a bona-fide chemical that does seal leaks.
Old 29 Oct 2011, 09:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just drove to the movie theater, easy drive thru town. I noticed the temp go to normal like normal. Good sign..

H&R Cup Kit | TSW Sakata 18x8 35ET | Nankang NS-II 235/40/18 | SPC front alignment cam - rear shim | Master Pro Rotors | Master Pro Ceramic F/R pads | Rebuilt Cylinder Head - Safety Valves and Guides | Felpro Head Gasket and upper rebuild kit | Fail-safe 195 degree thermostat | Mopar Waterpump...lol | 3rd radiator fan motor | Gates timing belt kit | WIX filters (oil, transmission) | Mobile 1 5w30 | Mopar ATF4 | Redline Water Wetter | K&N Drop-In | 4th Drive side Axle | Energy Suspension Torque Mounts | 3rd set of Torque Mounts...
Old 01 Nov 2011, 07:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Update.

Oddly, after full flogging it on the weekend, over a mountain, it couldn't take simple traffic! In just 30 minutes into the drive, in traffic, it the gauge started rise....great. So, I turned on the heater and it cooled down. After about 5 min. and traffic starting to move, I turned off the heater, temps stabilized. Oddly, it stayed good from there.

I left the office early to avoid ANY traffic. I filled up the system with distilled water and headed home. Oddly..again...the temps stayed around the quarter mark, never making to the half way point.

Anyway, this car is going to be only driven locally until it is fixed. I can only assume that the size of the hole, in the head gasket, is beyond what K-Seal can seal. For a minute there, it did stabilize the system.