PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Removing - Replacing Radiator Fan 2006 PT Cruiser Base Model

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Oct 2011, 11:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Removing - Replacing Radiator Fan 2006 PT Cruiser Base Model

Hello everyone.

So I have been having problems with my radiator fan. Last summer it went out on me and I paid close to $800 to have it replaced.

I have just recently had it go out on me again, only to find out it was just some burnt wires. Well when I got the car back, the fan worked but it made an awful klanking noise. If you have ever taken a house fan apart to clean it then put it back together and did not tighten the blades all the way, you know the wobbling klanky off balance noise I am talking about.

So, in my mind, I can't drive this through the weekend like that because it could potentially create more problems. So, I went and bought a little tool set and armed with that plus reading all of the great information from all of you helpful people on the forum, I have successfully removed my fan in less than an hour.

I would have had it out sooner, but I was filming what I was doing as I was doing so that I can post a video on how I accomplished getting it out and hopefully it will save someone else a few hundred dollars. Because this really is not a super hard task.

I am the farthest thing from a mechanic and I felt comfortable doing this throughout most of it.

When I pulled that fan out there are all kinds of bare wires and the repair job the "mechanic Shop" did was shoddy at best. So, I really do not want to put this fan back in there. I want to order a new one on Monday and put a new one in.

Now, my question is this.

Can I just leave that fan out and drive my car until I get the new one in or will it being unplugged mess anything up?

I am not worried about over heating, because I drove it for two weeks with a dead fan, so I have the perfect route to and from work to keep air flowing. But, will the fact that it is unplugged mess with the computer system in anyway?

Not sure what to do, I guess worst case scenario I could electrical tape all the bare wire, and pull the relays so the fan doesn't run and just put ti back in so it is plugged in. Not sure. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I will post the video of the removal and install of the fan,assuming everything goes right, once it is done.

Thank you very much.
Old 30 Oct 2011, 02:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Removing - Replacing Radiator Fan 2006 PT Cruiser Base Model

If you don't have the fan, the PT will overheat unless you can get right on the highway after starting the car. Above about 35 mph you don't need the fan as there's enough air coming in the front of the car to keep everything cool. The computer shuts the fan off at that speed anyway. Just don't do any stop and go city driving.
Old 30 Oct 2011, 03:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

After having taken this apart and just putting it back into place I have a follow up question.

When I was looking at the fan after having taken it out. I noticed to metal clips on one of the fan blades. I see no reason for those to be there, the only thing I can think of is that maybe they are there to balance the fan, like on a tire?

Does this sound ridiculous or is that how fans work. I find nothing so far on line about this, will keep looking. It would be nice to know I could just add a little wight to one side and balance it out.
Old 30 Oct 2011, 03:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would take those metal clips off the fan and see how it spins. I've never hear anyone talking about having the fan balanced or anyone having those clips so that might be why your fan is wobbling in the first place.
Old 31 Oct 2011, 12:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My fans out too, when I get stuck in traffic I turn the heater on full blast and it drops the engine temperature enough as to not overheat. Hope this tip helps you if you get caught in traffic. Thank god summer's over!!