Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Problems with cam postion sensor?!?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Oct 2011, 01:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Problems with cam postion sensor?!?!?

Pt brusier n crisis - YouTube
Problems with the PT started earlier this week when I drove to the end of my street and the PT just died and basically refused to start back unless I held the gas pedal down(very low on fuel). Even then it wouldnt idle and back fired many times until it finally would start(to the point the actual muffler blew apart), but ran fine as I held the fuel down and kept the RPMs up. It put out 3 codes as seen in the video, so I replace the number one culprit, the Cam postion sensor and topped off the tank, and it still wouldnt start or run correctly. So I had ran the batt dead so i pulled it and charged it all night. Go out the next day with charged batt and it started after some slight trouble but would finally run. Drove the thing around all day with no problems what so ever. Go back the next morning to start the thing up and it refuses to even hit. The CEL came back on while it was running the previous day for the same 3 codes but still ran fine til I parked it. I just cant figure out whats wrong with this thing, and Im not sure about the other codes being thrown as well-The CEL was previously for the EGR valve which i simply ignored!!! I need some help-my son will be here n a few weeks and I have to have my wheels!!!
Old 31 Oct 2011, 02:25 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Problems with cam postion sensor?!?!?

What codes does it give you? (didn't see any on that video) Did you change the camshaft sensor? If you did, did you use one from the dealer? How many miles in you car? Did you change the timing belt yet?
Old 31 Oct 2011, 02:40 pm
Young Cruiser

Codes I saw were P0340 and P0725

If guns kill people, spoons make people fat.
Old 31 Oct 2011, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes timing belt along with the tensioner and several other items replaced back in May!!! I used parts from Advance Auto!!!
Old 31 Oct 2011, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

111000 miles roughly, recent tune up as well(same time as all the other stuff)
Old 31 Oct 2011, 03:43 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I would try a OEM camshaft sensor. Pt Cruisers don't like aftermarket sensors
Old 31 Oct 2011, 04:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I would imagine that the one from Advance would work at least for a short amount of time- any other suggestions as I just cant make myself shell out even more money for a part that ive already replaced
Old 31 Oct 2011, 04:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I had purchased an aftermarket (standard Motor parts) camshaft position sensor for my car.
It lasted three miles and then totally failed. It would set a MIL code immediately upon starting the car after having erased codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clzliljohn View Post
I would imagine that the one from Advance would work at least for a short amount of time- any other suggestions as I just cant make myself shell out even more money for a part that ive already replaced
Old 31 Oct 2011, 04:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Aight you talked me into it- I will replace the sensor once more with another replacement from advance and if it still doesnt work I will buy Mopar. But does anyone know what the other code is for-P0725??? I know what the code means, but what does it mean?!?!? lol
Old 31 Oct 2011, 05:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You know that P0725 is the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). Here's a link to tell you exactly where it is:

Where is the PT Cruiser Transmission Speed Sensor located and - JustAnswer

Don't know if that's your problem but looking at prices, it's pretty cheap to replace.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 31 Oct 2011 at 05:14 pm.