PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
shop said new radiator is needed- am i getting screwed with the price of repair??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Nov 2011, 11:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default shop said new radiator is needed- am i getting screwed with the price of repair??

2003 Dream Cruiser 2
131,000 miles

My car started to overheat and I smelled the "infamous" water on the engine smell. I took it to the shop and they said that my heater hose was leaking (under my air something) and that i had a hole in my radiator and that it needed to be replaced. I have been noticing a leaking on the front passenger side of my car - it was coolant). I can see my radiator being shot after so many miles (and potholes and contruction that it has seen) but the shop wants to charge 634.87 for the fix and to add more coolant. I did request MOPAR parts, no cheap after market parts.

Question 1. Am I getting screwed on the price to fix the car?
Question 2. What should I ask the mechanic to make sure they have done - i.e. radiator pressure testing to test the hoses behind the radiator, etc?

thanks for your help!!!
Old 01 Nov 2011, 12:15 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: shop said new radiator is needed- am i getting screwed with the price of repair??

If you use a Mopar radiator (about $300 or more ) and Mopar coolant ( about $20 a gallon ), the price is about right. But you could save a few hundred dollars by going aftermarket...I have an aftermarket radiator from Ebay ($100 ) in my wife's PT with about 60k miles on the radiator and working fine. IMO, I wouldn't spend that money for a radiator on a 131k miles car.
Old 01 Nov 2011, 12:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: shop said new radiator is needed- am i getting screwed with the price of repair??

id say YES and id agree withXtrm get a good aftermarker and some Zerox G-05 do it yourself and put the cash in your pocket
Old 01 Nov 2011, 12:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the responses.
I want MOPAR parts because I plan to keep this car (I do have another PT that I drive on a regular basis with much lower miles, but I want to keep the Dream Cruiser 2 because it is limited and I love it.)
I wish that I knew how to replace it. I am a computer geek, not a mechanic and am at the mercy of shops. I do not go the "Stealerships" anymore.
Thanks again!!
Old 01 Nov 2011, 12:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

oh... and what questions should I ask the shop before i hand over the big bucks??? (What shop talk questions about the replacement so they don't "overlook" anything, like a radiator pressure test for the hoses - yes, I found that on this forum)
thanks again!
Old 01 Nov 2011, 01:36 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

To me is a waste of money. The problem is that OEM (most of the time) is NOT better than aftermarket: that goes for front end parts, brakes, tune up parts, suspension parts, etc, etc...Only thing good OEM are the sensors
You are just paying for the brand "Mopar" but probably is made in the same place as the aftermarket.
Old 01 Nov 2011, 02:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

lol jk about the stupid part. but all fairness.. its a pretty straight forward job to do. weather you decide to go with slowpar (mopar) parts or aftermarket. save the dough on the labor and atleast tackle it yourself!!!
if at first you dont succede try again!!! were all here to help ya progress and learn!!
Old 01 Nov 2011, 02:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgal1 View Post
thanks for the responses.
I want MOPAR parts because I plan to keep this car (I do have another PT that I drive on a regular basis with much lower miles, but I want to keep the Dream Cruiser 2 because it is limited and I love it.)
I wish that I knew how to replace it. I am a computer geek, not a mechanic and am at the mercy of shops. I do not go the "Stealerships" anymore.
Thanks again!!
its l;iek the guys have said go and look at the radiator look at it real close it is simple if you can figure out a hard drive this should be a cake walk 2 hoses to quick connects and I think maybe 4 screws and it is out

but if you really want to take it make sure the bleed the system and use a H.O.A.T like Zerok G-05
Old 01 Nov 2011, 04:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
You are just paying for the brand "Mopar" but probably is made in the same place as the aftermarket.
QFT!

Neon heater core:
OEM: 'Valeo'
aftermarket: Exact, identical part in every way, embossed 'Valeo'

Great you want to get quality parts!!!

I'd research the part, Rockauto is a good place to look, can look over your radiator
to see if there's a brand name or part number on it

Some radiators used to be junk- you'd have to us low pressure caps as they'd leak
Old 01 Nov 2011, 05:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If I were closer I'd swap it for you. As to what you need to do, well I agree with all here, the OEM radiator is way overpriced and not a dime's worth that extra money. Make sure you are very clear with the mechanics, like cruiserdad said, use only a HOAT antifreeze!

Also, you need to replace the cap too. Do not replace your radiator and leave the old cap on it. And personally, if it were moi, I'd also have the hoses and hose clamps replaced at the same time. Go with stainless steel clamps. You're saying you want it to last, might as well do everything radiator related then. Just my opinion....

Tags
radiator replacement