PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
p0128 - coolant thermostat.....how vague can you get it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Nov 2011, 03:10 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik
Default p0128 - coolant thermostat.....how vague can you get it?

so I've been running with a check engie light for a few miles now.

I didn't worry about it too much due to the fact that everytime I do the key flick trick its always p0441 evap insufficent flow (this normally goes away after a can of seafoam in the gastank....I haven't bought one yet) and p0522 oil pressure sending unit voltage low. oilis fine and the check oil light doesn't come on. plus if I use say a half cna of seafoam in the crankcase before an oil change this usually clears this code up as well.....I have a new sensor sitting in my glovebox from last oil change but I couldn't figure out how to get my arms down there so I didn't bother....looking at the sensore I would imainge the whole being rather small gets filled with dirt/carbon/whatever and thats why we have this problem which would explain why running some seafoam through the crankcase clears the code up.

anyways tonight decided to do the key trick just to make sure. and the first code that popped up was
p0128 coolant thermostat.
alrighty does this mean I need a new thermostat?
car never goes over the halfway mark even when temps outside range in the 80+ degrees. and how does it tell the thermostat is bad? last I checked there werent any wires going to the tstat.

should I pull the negative cable and clear the codes and see if the codes come back....or immediatly jump to the tstat?

and I also have the other codes p0441 and p0522. next payday going to get the stuff for an oil change and see what happens.

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed
Old 02 Nov 2011, 04:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: p0128 - coolant thermostat.....how vague can you get it?

Did some searching and the consensus is that the thermostat is bad. It's the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor that is throwing the code. You can clear the code by taking off the negative battery cable for 5 minutes, then see if the fault code comes back. One other cause might be that your a little low in coolant. Wait till everything is cold and take off the radiator cap. You should be filled right to the top with no air in the system.
Old 02 Nov 2011, 09:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik
Default Re: p0128 - coolant thermostat.....how vague can you get it?

alrighty then friday I'll clear the codes....probably just go ahead and do the oil change as well.

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed