PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2008 PT Starting, dying and trans problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Nov 2011, 07:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2008 PT Starting, dying and trans problems.

Hi, I am new here. I purchased a used 2008 PT (34,000 miles) for my daughter in May. The car ran fine up until about a month ago, then it started jerking when slowing down to around 25 mph. I checked the transmission fluid and it was a little low (also checked for leaks, no leaks, so dealer just must not have filled up all the way), so I brought it up to the correct level with the correct fluid also. It still jerks, but not as hard now.

Then a few days ago, I was driving down the road 55mph and the car just died. The radio and everything was still on, but the engine was not running. I coasted over to the side, turned the key off and it restarted and was fine. The next day I drove somewhere, turned the car off and when I tried to restart it started, but then died. I turned key off tried starting again and it would do nothing. I turned key off and tried and it started right up. Now, every once in awhile it does this with trying to start it. So far, it has not died on the road again.

I am afraid to turn my daughter loose in this car now, because of the danger.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be or should I just send it on down the road and never look back? I have read several things on this and people can spend hundreds if not thousands and never get the problem fixed. Thanks for any help.
Old 02 Nov 2011, 07:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 PT Starting, dying and trans problems.

Welcome to the Forums.
Read this for a possible cause:
2006 PT Cruiser Dashboard Mystery
Also see if there are any trouble codes:
How to retrieve fault codes.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles