PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
is the tcm same as transmission Solenoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Nov 2011, 09:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default is the tcm same as transmission Solenoid?

just wondering if the transmission control module is the same thing as the transmission solenoid. because i have an error code for transmission control module and was looking on oreilly's website, and it comes up with transmission solenoid pak. just wanted to know get it clear before i pay the $183.

thanks
Old 02 Nov 2011, 10:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: is the tcm same as transmission Solenoid?

NO! Transmission control module is totally separate from the Solenoid pack.

TCM location:

Now, solenoid pack is located in the same place, and the part numbers do not differ between the 40 or 41TE transmissions:

40TE -Solenoid is item 21

41TE - Solenoid is item 23

If you can give us more info, what troubles you had and what the DTC code is we can maybe help you identify the proper piece???

Last edited by Chromenut; 02 Nov 2011 at 10:07 pm.
Old 02 Nov 2011, 11:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

WOW
hello chromenut, that just cleared everything up for me...
last week on my way home, my pt went into "limp mode", it would only rev high when i go over like 30 mph. engine check light came on, but trans still would shift into reverse and drive fine, just not when i driving. so i just ASSUMED it was the speed sensors, so changed bought of them, still no fix.
then a reading some posts, the tcm came up alot. so stupid me again went to oreillys and bought a transmission solenoid thinking its the same thing as the control module. $183 yikes. so i change that, no fix again. so i take it to a local repair shop to check the code because i read the p0700 is just a generic code, so i get two codes p1768, and p1739. one tcm and one trans relay. so i told the repairman it cant be the tcm i just changed it. lol
i swapped the relay with the horn relay and the horn worked. man this past week ive got a headache from working on my pt. is the tcm a dealer part?
ill keep my fingers crossed while i change the RIGHT tcm haha. thank you so much for clearing this up for me. aloha
heres the print outs for my diagnostics

Old 02 Nov 2011, 11:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Had any accidents where your left front end got hit? Been in deep water on the left front end? These could cause your TCM to fail.

Can tell you the TCM is NOT cheap. There are some TCM experts out there but you really need to make sure you get one from a reputable dealer. I have suggested, in the past, these guys at All Computer Resources, Inc., but I am not affiliated with them and therefore can not guarantee their work. Your TCM, if I'm correct, needs to be pre-loaded with your VIN and configuration. Maybe Crewzin or someone else can speak up here, as I'm only good on 2006 and up for specifics, and only generics on the earlier models.

Contact your dealership, see what they charge, and compare it to the link I listed above at $225.
Old 10 Nov 2011, 01:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

hey Chromenut,

i ordered the tcm from that company you recommended, i just had to give them my vin # and mileage so they could program it. $225 plus $45 shipping to Hawaii, damn! UPS just brought it today and I installed the tcm and everything is working top shape again!!! feels good to have my car working again after two weeks down.
thanks again for the help, couldnt have done it without you !

James
Old 10 Nov 2011, 07:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

James, really glad it turned out good for you! I try to help, much as I can, on these forums.
Old 10 Jun 2016, 08:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey guys. I know this was an older post but the help received seemed very useful and relevant to my situation.

My car died out on me on the road, lights radio headbeams alarm and ac all still worked. Turned key in ignition and wouldnt start, no noise either. Had a mechanic look at it n they said its the tcm.

So i called the dealership to inquire about it. The first one said no such thing that its part of the solenoid pack. The second one said its all in part of the engine control module. He added the ecm costs a tad over $1000 n well over my budget. Being this is 6 yrs past your posts is that right? Or can i still order the part separately online? If so does anyone know of a site to look for one?
Old 12 Jun 2016, 10:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarab View Post
Hey guys. I know this was an older post but the help received seemed very useful and relevant to my situation.

My car died out on me on the road, lights radio headbeams alarm and ac all still worked. Turned key in ignition and wouldnt start, no noise either. Had a mechanic look at it n they said its the tcm.

So i called the dealership to inquire about it. The first one said no such thing that its part of the solenoid pack. The second one said its all in part of the engine control module. He added the ecm costs a tad over $1000 n well over my budget. Being this is 6 yrs past your posts is that right? Or can i still order the part separately online? If so does anyone know of a site to look for one?
Wasn't the TCM incorporated into the PCM in later years for the PT?
Old 13 Jun 2016, 03:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrw View Post
Wasn't the TCM incorporated into the PCM in later years for the PT?
See ya i dont know. I mean ive done online searches and saw the tcm sold separately (i think) for a lot less than $1k but at the same time i dont wanna spend for a wrong part and then have to still pay the $1k if thats how its is.

Can someone clarify please?