PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine light is on, car hesitates/sputters when trying to accelerate past 30 mph..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Nov 2011, 10:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine light is on, car hesitates/sputters when trying to accelerate past 30 mph..

Hello,

Once again I have an issue with my car...The other day my engine light came on, my mom and I checked the gas cap and made sure everything was fine under the hood and after a while the light went away. Well tonight on our way home the light came back on and when I was stopped and accelerated the car started jerking a little and hesitated to go and I noticed it's when I try to go past 30 mph..it was really scary. My grandfather is taking the car to have it looked at tomorrow but has anyone else had a problem similar to this? I really hope it's nothing extremely major..this would have to happen at this time when I don't have any money to fix my car..

Forgot to add that my mom and grandpa thinks it might be the O2 sensor or something but I'm worried it could be something else more serious...my car is a 2006 with a little over 43,000 miles on it. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by quietcharm23; 02 Nov 2011 at 10:04 pm.
Old 03 Nov 2011, 12:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine light is on, car hesitates/sputters when trying to accelerate past 30 mph.

If the engine light came on, the computer should have a fault code stored in memory. We need that code to help us help you. Here's instructions on how to get that code.

How to retrieve fault codes.
Old 03 Nov 2011, 09:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine light is on, car hesitates/sputters when trying to accelerate past 30 mph.

check the codes like crewzin says but it sounds like the cam sensor it is a easy fix the only down side is you need to use a True Mopar sensor from the dealer---yes they sell aftermarket ones rom auto parts stores but the PT usally will not like the aftermarket ones its about a $50 part and is less than 10 minutes to put it in