Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 PT misfiring, running rough, no power codes checked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Nov 2011, 11:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 PT misfiring, running rough, no power codes checked

Hello everyone, let me start by saying I check these forums alot when I need info for the PT and usually it helps. I have never posted, but I'm at my wits end with my current problem.
I have a 2003 PT Cruiser Touring, mileage 75,000: Let me start by saying that my check engine light is usually on with the code (P0441 Evap purge syst. not prop wroking) it goes off every now and then. I've changed the gas cap and had the dealer look at it and it just keeps on happening... The car runs just fine no issues. Anyway, thats not my issue (at least I don't think it is).
So about two months ago we were driving entered a parking lot and the car just shuttered a bit and engine shut down we were able to start it again and it was fine. The next day I took it out and it started to act up again spitting and sputtering and shutting off etc. This time the check engine light was flashing I went to the auto parts store I checked the code in the parking lot (engine click method) got a 0302 (misfire cyld.#2) went in told them and they said I should get a ignition coil pack, so I did. I left the parts store got a few miles started acting up again pulled over turned it off and restarted and so on til I got home. Put the ignition coil pack on (cleared codes) car ran great for two months. So Saturday car started to act the same way missing and sputtering so I'm thinking even though the plugs and wires weren't that old maybe they should be replaced went to parts store got plugs (didn't get wires til next day, they wanted me to bring the wires in to exchange and I didn't have them with) plugs replaced (still doing the same thing) take plug wires in get new ones changed them (still the same) So I text my son he says maybe the injector?? He comes home checks the injector says it's fine. I checked the codes again now I have (0441, 0302, 0300(multiple misfire), 0202 (injector #2 control circuit problem open or shorted) I'm pretty sure the 0202 is from him checking the injector.
So the plugs & wires are new, the ignition coil pack is two months old and he says the injector isn't bad. Does anyone have any idea where I go from here other than to a garage...? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by dasher80; 03 Nov 2011 at 11:35 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 04 Nov 2011, 09:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 PT misfiring, running rough, no power codes checked

Coil packs very rarely go, and the stock coil is better than aftermarket, so if you have the original coil, put it back.
Stock wires are garbage.
When wires are changed on a non-turbo, the intake manifold has to come off - possible the intake gasket was disturbed and you have an intake leak.
Get some spray starting fluid - when engine is idling, spray along the seam of the intake manifold (by the radiator) - if idle smooths out, it's an intake gasket leak.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Nov 2011, 12:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quicksilverdon-
I will give that a try and see what happens, thanks for the info. I'm still wondering what would have caused the missing/shuttering and codes in the first place though. It wasn't running right that is why we replaced plugs/wires.
Old 04 Nov 2011, 02:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher80 View Post
Quicksilverdon-
I will give that a try and see what happens, thanks for the info. I'm still wondering what would have caused the missing/shuttering and codes in the first place though. It wasn't running right that is why we replaced plugs/wires.
I'm only guessing, but originally you may have needed the wires/plugs, but in taking off manifold, another problem arose.
Let us know.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Nov 2011, 03:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just tryed the starting fluid, nothing changed. Too bad, I was hoping that would do it.