Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cenrifugal Supercharger?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2011, 11:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cenrifugal Supercharger?

I've heard rumors from some of my customers that a Centrifugal Supercharger would be a good addition to my PT. Just curious if anyone knows the difficulty and the pros/cons of installing one on my car. I have a 2001 Limited which is a non-turbo so the grounds for improvement are pretty much wide open. Suggestions anyone?
Old 05 Nov 2011, 12:00 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Cenrifugal Supercharger?

I believe there were only two superchargers kits for the PT. One of them was the Whipple. I bought one of those kits a few years ago (used) but never got to install it. Sold it on Ebay for $900.
I think they bring the HP to around 200-215. Anything over that you'll be pushing that engine over its limit.
I believe there is one still for sale in this forum.
IMO I don't think is worth the trouble and you are better off with a turbo...or trading your car for a GT.
Old 05 Nov 2011, 12:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik

there is/was a whipple supercharger kit for the early pt cruisers.
it is smog legal in california (which should make it smog legal anywhere)
though it is not a centrifugal its a screw type supercharger.

I have heard of a mopar supercharger but never seen it mentioned anywhere except in posts.....no info on that....might have been the same kit.

as for a centifugal.....it would essentially be like putting a belt driven turbocharger on your car with all the required bits a turbocharger would need. though an intercooler for a centrifugal supercharger would be optional.
without the supercharger you'd probably only want 8-10 psi similar to some of the vortec kits.

with an intercooler the sky is the limit....theoretically.

the other major problem would be space.....with the whipple kit the supercharger essentialy became the intake manifold.....thus taking up the room once occupied by intake manifold.....potentially possible with the centrifugal but not quite sure how'd it would be pulled off.

you could try locating it behind the head....simlar to the gt's stock location of turgocharger...but not sure if there's enough room to install a drive mechanism that would allow you to access the belt area of the car.

something that might be of interest would be the STS turbocharger system.
Squires Turbo Systems - Turbocharged Innovation!

this basically mounts a turbocharger in the location of the muffler and then routes it up to an intercooler if so desired and then connects to the throttle body. its considered a remote mount system.

depending on where you live though some things may or may not be legal in your area.
and if you plan on boosting there's alot more too it than just throwing on a super/turbo-charger and calling it a day.

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed
Old 05 Nov 2011, 03:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

For the PT I'd choose a turbocharger over a supercharger. Have never seen a really fast supercharged PT. I've seen a lot of fast turbo'd PTs.
Old 05 Nov 2011, 09:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik

I would count that to the fact that its easier to raise boost levels in a turbochraged car than in a supercharged car.

though I believe I would prefer a supercharger like a roots or screw for basically only adding power to the vehicle during all conditions...and thus is like having a really powerful n/a motor...at leat that is my hypothesis since I've never driven either.

the centrifugal has to spool up similar to a turbo but obviously is belt driven and not exhaust driven.

to each there own I guess?

what is someone doesn't desire to be "really fast" and only wants a bit more power that basic n/a bolt ons can't offer??

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed
Old 08 Nov 2011, 02:51 pm
Young Cruiser

Both type of super chargers amount of boost can be altered by the changing the size of the pulley. Although there are great benefits to having forced induction you also have to consider the amount of boost that you are trying to push through the engine and what the engine is designed for. If you want to put more boost then you will have to lower your compression ratio. The reverse is true if your going a pure NA set up. You want more compression.
The quick fix is to change the gaskets but not really a good fix. You will have to break the seal on the engine and get performance pistons and connecting rods. Then you might as well get a cam and lifters and the adjustable cam gears and dial the engine in.
Old 08 Nov 2011, 07:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Depends how far you want to go with performance. A supercharged PT that is "a bit" fast can be power modded only so far or a turbocharged PT that can tear up the track. If it's the first option then good luck finding a supercharger for a PT. You can go to different power levels with a turbo so deciding a power level would be the first choice. You can get away without upgrading the internals if you stay around 8 psi. Getting a turbo kit together is not that hard, BUT you had better know what you are doing or have someone with turbo car knowledge.