PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Does this sound like a transmission issue?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2011, 05:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Does this sound like a transmission issue?

As you guys may or may not know from my my earlier posts, I'm still having the deceleration issue where it feels like an ignition misfire when I let off the gas and coast at highway speeds. It's intermittent, and doesn't do it everytime I take the car out on the road. I can make it go away if I give it slightly more throttle and hold it steady when it's throwing one of these fits.

This week when slowing down to either stop or turn, it seems like it has kicked down harder than it should when the transmission is downshifting. Today when I started it up at work, the tach seemed to climb up to around 2000 rpms, then kind of wandered back down to just under 1000 rpms, where it usually sits. With the car in park and the brake set, I revved it up and let off the gas to see if I could get the idle to come down. At around 3000 rpms when I let off the gas, it kind of "kicked" back, just once.

As always, there have been no check engine lights, and no fault codes stored. I'm going to make an appointment to have a transmission shop take a look at it. Do any of these symptoms sound familiar to anyone, and if so, have they turned out to be transmission related? I really like this car, and overall it's in very good shape for 123,000 miles. It's just frustrating the crap out of me with these issues that leave no tracks that can be used to diagnose/fix the problem(s). And lastly, that annoying hesitation when starting out from a dead stop is back.

Timing belt/water pump have been done, new plugs and wires, throttle body cleaned, IAC valve has been cleaned, transmission has been flushed and filled.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by sscanlan; 05 Nov 2011 at 08:19 pm.
Old 06 Nov 2011, 06:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Does this sound like a transmission issue?

Holy crap! 34 people have looked at this post, and no one has experienced any of these issues, or has any opinions on what the cause may be?
Old 06 Nov 2011, 07:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Apparently nobody has experienced anything like you have. All I can say is that if the trans wasn't flushed before now, or if it was and the wrong fluid was used (ATF+4 ONLY) than things cold start showing up like what your experiencing. I suggest the first thing is to flush it now, using the correct fluid and see if it cures your problems.

...and just for your information, 34 out of 20,000+ registered members isn't a whole lot of people.
Old 06 Nov 2011, 09:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hey, Carey.
Sorry if I seemed kind of impatient by the lack of responses. I am extremely frustrated with these issues, and was just hoping that someone else had experienced something similar (not that I'd wish these issues on anybody), and maybe someone would have some insight. I am working a contract IT job while looking for permanent fulltime employment in the field. Am also dealing with alot of medical bills from my heart attack, so the hint of anything major possibly going on is giving me chest pains. I was there when they serviced the transmission and I made sure that the dealer used the correct fluid. I confirmed that they were going to use the ATF+4 before they even started working on it.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 06 Nov 2011, 09:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No problem. Hope everything turns out OK. I know my wife had a Chevy Geo Storm and the trans started acting funny and a flush cured it. I was hoping it would do the same for you. The 41te trans on the PT doesn't have a very good reputation so problems like what your experiencing could have very well be symptoms of something going wrong.
Old 11 Nov 2011, 07:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

I finally stopped torturing myself with "what if's" today, and took the Cruiser in to a very competent local transmission shop. Of course, it didn't act up when they took it out to road test it. They scanned it completely, and it is clean of any fault codes.

They put it up on the lift and dropped the pan. It looked great, no chunks of anything, and just a little "fuzz" on the magnet. They said it looked great for the amount of miles on it (124,000). While the pan was off, they went ahead and replaced the filter, then put new ATF +4 fluid in. When I had the transmission service done at the dealership, they only flushed and filled it, and never replaced the filter. The filter didn't actually look too bad, but I was glad to have gotten it replaced. The whole job came to $153.00.

On the way home, I noticed that one of my front wheel berings is starting to hum when I steer left. It goes away when I straighten the wheel out. A local place that I trust quoted me a price of $110.00 labor to replace both front bearings, and doesn't mind if I want to supply the bearings (I still get a student discount at O'Reillys).

I understand that there are two sizes of wheel bearings that were used on PT's. Is there any way to tell what size the front bearings are wthout physically removing them and measuring them? Perhaps by the VIN #? If anyone who has done this job can tell me, I'd really appreciate it. It's a 2002 PT, Touring model, with an automatic.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 12 Nov 2011, 09:40 am
Senior Cruiser

Not sure on the bearings.

So did the trans service fix your problem??

It sounds like this service was the 2nd time the trans had scene any fresh fluid and filter.

I would look at Advance auto or rock auto and see what they list for the bearings on line.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 12 Nov 2011, 06:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

I just double checked the listings on O'Reillys website, and apparently the "first design" bearings (33mm width) were used for 2001-2002, while the "Second design" (39mm width) bearings were used for all years after that. My mechanic also recommended getting the National brand, instead of the Master-Pro brand.

So, it looks like I'll be getting this done in a few weeks.

The transmission service seems to have made a difference. This was the second time the fluid has been swapped out, while it was the first time for a fresh filter.