Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil catch can DIY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Nov 2011, 12:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Oil catch can DIY

Can anyone help me with some instructions and some pictures on a how to make a oil catch can? I've been getting oil in the intake and it's more than what it should.
Old 07 Nov 2011, 12:40 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Oil catch can DIY

Usually N/A don't need a catch can...start with a new PCV valve first
Old 07 Nov 2011, 06:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not really sure why you'd need a catch can on an NA. You don't have blow-by without the turbo.
Old 07 Nov 2011, 09:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

I was told that I shovelfuls put one in. I'm gonna do the Pcv and a catch can this weekend. Why do you guys think
Old 07 Nov 2011, 10:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

If I put on it I put it in the middle of the Pcv line? Just cut it and put the filter in and then other connector on the filter to the nipple on the manifold?
Old 08 Nov 2011, 01:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Dude, imo, you are wasting your time. There's no need for an oil catch can on an NA engine! The reason for the catch can is to trap the oil coming out of the crankcase on the make-up air line, NOT the PCV line. Yes, lots of people are putting them on the PCV line, BUT WHY??? I mean WTF, it makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

On the turbo models, the make-up air line goes back to your intake to keep the car from breathing oil fumes into the atmosphere. There are many ways to work around that, the best being the catch can. Just don't see a reason to mess with that on an NA. You could be doing so many other mods.... hey, it's your call though, so knock yourself out...literally....
Old 08 Nov 2011, 01:21 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Waste of time on a na PT.
Old 08 Nov 2011, 07:42 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik

I seem to always disagree with you turbo guys but here it goes.

I really don't see a problem with adding an oil catch can to the N/A.

I have replaced the pcv on my car and am noticing oil residue at both ends of the pcv hose.

here's a very detailed thread on the s20 forum...granted it mostly talks about their precious sr20 motor but the basics are the same.
Crank Case Ventilation fully explained. (Naturally aspirated edition.) - SR20 Community Forum - The Dash

honda and other sport import guys do put oil catch cans inline with their pcv system and have noticed and takin pictures of the catch can filling up with oil from that hose.

as stated in the first paragragh after the first picture of that thread piston rings do not provide a perfect seal of the combustion chamber and all engines including n/a engines have blow by. if this werent the case oil would not get "dirty" and if you try and say the oil gets dirty with just worn bits of bearing and what not engines would obviously fail alot sooner and more often than they do.

also because of the crankcase ventilated oil residue not being in a catch can you can notice your throtle plate in the your throtle body getting covered in sludge.....you will also notice if you remove the throtle body that the intake manifold and runners also get a coating of oil.

the crank case ventilation is there to prevent vapor lock....something that rarely ever happens in todays more modern motors with their crankcase ventilation.
vapor lock accures when too much pressure builds in the crankcase and essentially the rotating mass has so much difficulty moving through this pressure things end up shutting down. this is why crank case ventilation was implmented in the first place.
now if piston rings seal so great that there is no blow by how does that pressure build?
obviously piston rings do not seal perfectly and extra gas/water/air builds up in the crankcase caused from blow by.....thus building pressure in a previously sealed crankcase.

originaly crankcase ventilation vented to the atmosphere.
then somone decided to say this is a form of pollution of hydrocarbons into the atmospshere and needs to be checked.
so the recirculating crank case venitlation was created.
eventually they decided they need a way to prevent incoming intake air from entering through the same hose so a one way check valve was included in the system (aka the pcv valve). this allows that only air from the crankcase will come through the pcv and recirculate into the intake....and that intake air will not enter the crankcase.
obviously the vacuum of the intake system helps with "scavenging" pressure out of the crankcase.
but when you take your foot off the gas pedal and the throtle body butterfly closes the air moving in the intake tract backs up and causes a mild pressure increase.....you turbo guys would understand this best since the pressure spike can be so great it interferes with your turbo's operation this is why many of your systems have a blow off valve.
so with this pressure spike the pcv closes to prevent extra pressure from entering into the crank case.

ok anyways a little off track. but you get the idea that a oil catch can is not a determent on an n/a motor and is not a 100% complete waste of time energy or money either.
I think that thread I posted with its many different diagrams explains alot. I will say that hooking up a catch can system in the correct section of the crankcase ventilation system is nessary.
I will agree with you that in a boosted application the blow by is an even bigger concern....but I wont say that blow by is not a concern in an naturally aspirated format.

as for places to mount an oil catch can....I was actually looking at my engine bay today while doing the oil change....and notcing the oil residue at both ends of the pcv hoses...and contemplating where I might mount an oil catch can..

unfortuntely there is not alot of room in the pt cruiser engine bay.
the n/a motor though has a large area located near the fire wall behnd the engine....thanks in part by not having a turbo/turbomanifold in the way.
I guess it also depends on the actual size of the oil catch can that you choose. but I would imange that you'd want access to the catch can so you could drain it when needed/on a regular basis.

I hope this helps.
also remember this.
Its YOUR car and YOUR money do with it as you see fit.
Happy modding.

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed
Old 08 Nov 2011, 08:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Oh I agree, if you want to spend your money to make a ricer out of your PT, go right ahead. I have no problems with any of this stuff. Just voiced my opinions, that's all. Basically, if you post here asking for opinions, get ready to get some that may not agree with your own. I have it happen to me all the time, but then I am pretty much a 50 year old tard! lmao
Old 08 Nov 2011, 08:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik

now I just gotta know.

how does an oil catch can make a pt cruiser a ricer?

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed