PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 pt auto trans wont move in gars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Nov 2011, 10:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 pt auto trans wont move in gars

Hi, I have a pt cruiser with an auto transmission non turbo with 59k,
one day on its own, I went to drive off, and the pt would not move neither forward or reverse, it does act as if it goes into gear with the engine running, now if you try to push the pt while in gear- drive, reverse, neutral- and the engine running, it will not move, it acts as if the ebrake was on, I turn off the engine and it rolls with no problem, the trans oil is like new, it does not smell bad and is up to level, last time serviced was at 30k, what do you think???.
Any help with suggestions will be appreciated, thanks...
Old 09 Nov 2011, 04:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 pt auto trans wont move in gars

What else can you do except get it check out. I would suggest a transmission shop and not a dealer.
Old 09 Nov 2011, 04:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Transmission linkage?? I'm not that familiar with the TE trannies, but would think maybe his shift linkage is messed up somehow.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 01:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just this past sunday my 2002 pt, non turbo auto trans did the same thing.

with the motor not running you can easily shift out of park into any gear. car rolls freely. then with trans in neutral you can start the car and it immediately seems to go into park. you can place the shifter into drive or reverse and you can tell the trans is engaging because of the lug on the engine. if depress the gass it feels just like doing a power brake.

not sure exactly what, the car has 62 K on it. I am the only owner.

Thanks for any suggestions, I have surfed this site for 5 hours so far and not found any thing that really seems to be helpful.

guess I will call dealer tomorrow.
Ray
Old 06 Dec 2011, 01:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

the problem is the trans totally fried, meaning the planetary gears went south and then. I got it rebuilt, the trans guy told me to replace the radiator. supposedly the trans cooler gets plugged up in the radiator somehow and restricts the fluid flow. i did not really comprehend that.

took deliver of car, drove it about 150 miles, trans now makes noise when putting in gear. got a warranty on rebuild. called trans shop this am. he says we have to replace the radiator or put on an external cooler, and he will have to pull trans again and replace planetary gears. because the cooler has restricted oil flow.

I am searching this site and others to see how common this problem is.

Ray
Old 06 Dec 2011, 02:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry Ray. It's about as common as someone buying a used PT and finding a million dollars stuffed in the back seat.

Yes I can believe the radiator gets fouled up (because lots of owners had that problem) because the owner or previous owner used the wrong kind of coolant. Chrysler recommends and only backs the warranty, if coolant with HOAT properties was used in the radiator. When that happens, I can also believe the line to the tranny can get blocked up. Usually, the radiator doesn't have to be replaced but just flushed out depending on the amount of corrosion found.

Did he say you have to pay for the second planetary gear rebuild and I take it you didn't listen to his advise about replacing/flushing the radiator the first time he told you?