Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
clutch advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2011, 11:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default clutch advice

my clutch is going out is what my trust worthy mechanic said doing a stage 2 or 1clutch can trash the tranny so i need some advice on a good clutch for my 03 five speed pt gt mildly modded and more to come
Old 11 Nov 2011, 07:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: clutch advice

You're where I am, teeter-tottering back and forth - do I go with an OEM replacement and save a ton of money, or do I go ahead with S2? As to trashing your tranny, if you're running the G288, unless you are an idiot and don't know how to shift (which I don't believe you are) then you don't have to worry about that.

Now, Steve White Motors on ebay has some of the best prices on OEM parts, and their OEM clutch kit for the T350 is only $318. I've got a message in to Josh at SW motors to see what the cost is on the G288 clutch and will let you know what he says.

Now Matheny Motors also has great prices on ebay so I've also sent them an email asking for a price on the OEM clutch kit.

Personally, I'm probably not going to put my PT on the drag strip again, have already spent too much $$$ on that, so I'm going with the OEM clutch kit. I don't need an S2, and I just about can guarantee that in another 40k miles or so I'll probably need another. But, if they can get me one near $318 then I won't complain a bit. The S2 clutches I've looked at started at $687, but most really run closer to $800. Now add to it, you HAVE to have your flywheel refaced, regardless of which clutch kit you're going to get. I'm actually thinking of having it pulled and cut down just to see if I can get a tiny bit more life out of my clutch (doubt it though, I've horked it pretty good). Sometimes clutch slippage can be caused by "glassing" the face of the flywheel - that is you've spun it so much that you've created this layer of what looks like glass on the flywheel and that causes your clutch to slip.

Me, I'm pretty sure it's glassed but also know I'm burning my clutch because I smell it every time I got to WOT in 2nd or 3rd.

So, personally, just my opinion, I'd go OEM and get my flywheel refaced. Save tons of money and will probably last you a long time.

Last edited by Chromenut; 11 Nov 2011 at 07:42 am.
Old 11 Nov 2011, 07:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Also, and I'd call a dealership and verify this, I think the part number for the G288 clutch kit is 05062180AA. Just make sure it's the right one, but it is what's listed in the OEM parts catalog. That is different from the part number for my clutch kit, so like I said, please verify it before you use it to buy one.

Last edited by Chromenut; 11 Nov 2011 at 07:43 am.
Old 11 Nov 2011, 08:56 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the advice im not looking to make my pt a race car i just want a clutch that will hold little bolt on mods and last
Old 11 Nov 2011, 09:26 am
Regular Cruiser

How long did your stock clutch last?

A clutch is not going to break a transmission. Though, aftermarket clutch can break itself due to improper design.

Off my 85 GLH

Stock clutch.

Watch out for anchor engine mounts!!

Last edited by tryingbe; 11 Nov 2011 at 09:34 am.
Old 11 Nov 2011, 09:46 am
Veteran Cruiser

You don't want one with the little spring-Thingys
And you certainly don't want this one
[IMG][/IMG]