Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gas smell when starting up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Nov 2011, 10:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Gas smell when starting up

I have an issue here and a possible resolution that I wanted to get some opinions on to see if I am on the right track.

Every now and then I am getting a slight fuel smell from the vents when starting up the car. It doesn't matter if the AC is on or not. It doesn't happen all the time and even when it does happen it lasts about 10-15 seconds and it never happens at any other time.

At first I thought it was nothing but it happened again this morning and it is starting to bug me. After looking around online it seems to mean that I have a slight fuel leak somewhere in the engine compartment. My thought is that because my PT sat for a while (it is an 06 with 28K so it was never driven a lot before I got it) it might be the O rings on the injectors. Maybe they dried out a little. Does that sound plausible or is there somewhere else I should be looking at?

Since the fuel rod sits below the radiator hose I wanted to get some other opinions before I spend the time draining the radiator and checking it out. I can't see anything down there right now.

PS The car is also getting horrible gas mileage right now (~16.5 MPG) and it is idling rough in the 800-900 RPM range. I just changed plugs (iridium gapped to .039) and wires and it is running 93 gas. I think this might all be related.

Old 14 Nov 2011, 12:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Gas smell when starting up

YIKES!

Follow the plastic fuel line back to the firewall, where it connects to hard line
from fuel tank. THere's a little accumulator that always leaks.

I do wonder if it would be leaking that sevely to cause excess consumption problems, and it definitely wouldn't cause the other issues.
Cracked exhaust manifold would cause all these, but it'd have to be severely cracked.

Fuel injectors and rail never leak externally, unless someone really messed them up.

I'd
1. Get a fire extinguisher that works
2. Get an assistant to
a. cycle key to prime fuel pump
after look, listen smell and feeling for leaks,
b. start engine with clear instructions to 'shut it down' if so ordered.
Do the same inspection. Ensure assistant doesn't run you over.

Vehicles can and do burn, it never pretty
Old 14 Nov 2011, 01:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Good call on the accumulator. I just followed the fuel line back and sure enough there was a fine gas/sludge mix on it. The leak isn't too severe. It didn't seem to be anywhere else so I doubt that is the cause of my poor MPG but we will find out when I replace it.

Thank you very much for the help. This is exactly why I love this forum.

Eric

Old 14 Nov 2011, 08:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have been looking around and I can't seem to find the accumulator by itself. Do I need to purchase a whole new fuel line for that?

Old 14 Nov 2011, 11:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Yes. I think Chrysler is the only one to sell it
Old 11 Dec 2011, 08:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You guys are awesome. ever since I bought our cruiser, i came to this forum, even right after I got it home from the dealership. I bought a used 2006 pt and googled all problems and this forum always came up. 2 main problems were the timing belt and motor mounts. I belt just went at 122k, $400. later it's now ok. I was about to attempt it myself and an awesome person on here had step by step instructions. I took it my my mechanic instead.
any way. I had the same problem after I got it back from the mechanic with the gas smell. I found the problem before I saw your results this time but it was the same case. the accumulator connection was leaking. just like one of you said, when we turned the car on and when we accelerated we smelt gas. I had my wife turn on the fuel pump and I found the problem just like you said, back on the firewall is the connection easily assessable from under the hood. I just bought an o-ring and will try it first. Pack of o-rings are $8. for fuel. I'll let you know if it works.

thanks again for all of your help on this forum. You are the ones that keeps my PT on the road. peace out.