Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

code P0302

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Nov 2011, 08:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default code P0302

Hello, everyone,

My wife says she got a check engine light today, and sure enough, when I checked it out, that was the case.

I checked for codes and got a P0320 (cylinder 2 misfore detected).

Anyone know the most common reason for throwing this code?

She said the engine ran a little rough for about a block this morning, but other than that, no difference was detected.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 16 Nov 2011, 09:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: code P0302

Could be a bad spark plug and/or plug wire
1990 Chevy 454SS
1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 16 Nov 2011, 10:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Take the plug wire from #2 and put it on another plug to see if the code changes. One of the biggest problems for a single code like that is a small vacuum leak on the intake around where it attaches to the lower intake or on one of the seams.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 17 Nov 2011, 12:17 am
Senior Cruiser

Thanks, guys!

This Friday I'm going to pull the plugs, anyway--and check the plug wires, too. But, Crewzin, when you mentioned the vacuum leak at the "intake", do you mean one of the four seals where the upper intake manifold meets the lower intake manifold? If so, this could be a problem since I've removed the upper intake manifold several times (although, only three times), and never installed new seals. I did this because I was under the impression that one could re-use those seals up to ten times. And I torqued the manifold bolts to 105 inch pounds, like I was supposed to.

I'll clear the code and try switching the plug wires around--after I check the plug, itself. I can then assume the problem is with the plug wire if the code changes to the other cylinder. since I have to raise the upper manifold, I'll install new seals, while I'm at it.

It's odd, though. I changed those plug wires to "Bosch", no more than six thousand miles ago--and never a problem until now..

I forgot to mention that I also got a P0325 code (Knock Sensor circuit problem). But I assumed that if I had a "firing" problem with one of the cylinders, the Knock Sensor code would be thrown automatically.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted.

Tim
Old 17 Nov 2011, 12:19 am
Senior Cruiser

Wait a minute! Crewzin, you also mentioned a vacuum leak at "one of the seams".

What "seams"?

Tim
Old 17 Nov 2011, 07:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The actual seam where the upper manifold comes together. It's made in a couple of pieces and put together so a small gap/pin hole can cause air to be sucked in.
Yes, I was referring to the area where you have the 4 small red rubber washers that are between the upper and lower manifolds. They can be used over and over (3rd time for me too) but you have to be very careful no foreign material accidentally got in there and inspect the rubbers rings really good.

Rough idle / stalling
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 08:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Crewzin, thanks for the input. I'm wondering how on earth I'm going to find a tiny leak at the seams--at this point. But I assumed that since the P0302 code was for the number two cylinder only that you were referring to a leak at the upper-to-lower manifold (red) seal that surrounds the manifold opening that directs air to cylinder number 2, and this would affect the firing at the number 2 cylinder.

Also, are you saying that the leak (if there is one at the seam) would be at the seam directly near the number 2 cylinder--so that it affects the air flow at that cylinder? If so, I can understand how that works. But if the leak is, say, way over on the side nearest the number 4 cylinder, then could it affect the number 2 cylinder, as well? In that case, I'm a little stumped.

Well, either way, I'll inspect the manifold very closely when I change out the plugs and wires again.

By the way, my wife told me today that the check engine light came on in the morning--but not when she went to lunch or drove home after work. The only thing I did last night was unscrew and screw back the fuel-filler cap.
I'm going to unhook the battery cables in a minute and hook them back up to erase the codes--and see how that goes.

Thanks again.

Tim
Old 17 Nov 2011, 09:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Tim,

Yes, any leak would have to be around cylinder#2 for that code to show up.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 10:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks again, Crewzin!

I uncoupled the battery terminals and hooked them back up. The codes disappeared. At least I think they did. I got nothing this time but the odometer reading. No "Done", at all.

I'll do the key dance again tomorrow after the wife has driven the PT to work and back. I have a feeling the codes will show back up again.

Tim
Old 18 Nov 2011, 11:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You should always at least get "done".
Is idle okay? vacuum leak usually causes a rough idle. I'd also throw a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner in in case the injector is clogged - and it's like chicken soup - can't hurt.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles