Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
months of battle, PLEASE HELP US

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Nov 2011, 03:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation months of battle, PLEASE HELP US

I bought a 2001 PT with over 100k miles for $1000 2 months ago. I had $2000 to spend on a vehicle to take me from KY-SC (where my son and I were moving so I could find a job and go to school). I figured I could spend $1000 buying it and $1000 fixing her up and I would have a dependable car for $2000. BOY WAS I WRONG..Well we made it to SC but now Courtney (i named her Courtney Love- you will see why) wont start at all. So here, beginning to end is what has been going on:

Before I purchased her I took her to a mechanic to make sure the purchase was a good idea. He told me I would be crazy not to buy her. So I did.
I got her tuned up, new plugs wires ect. along with new upper and lower radiator hoses. A week later she was overheating, so I took her back to the mechanic and got a new thermostat. A few days later I had left an interior light on and when I went to start her she was dead. So I tried jumping her. Didn't work. Tried charging the battery, didn't work. Tried a new battery, didn't work. Tried new air filter, didn't work. So I had a mechanic come to tell me that it was the battery terminal cables. He fixed them (temporarily) and it started right up. I set off on my trip to SC from KY and 1/2 way there Courtney started jerking really hard. I took her to a mechanic and the code said the cam/crank sensor (P1391). He replaced the cam, i drove off and sure enough it started back again after 10 miles or so. When I pulled off the exit she died completely and would not start back so I called the mechanic, he met me (mind you this was after hours for his shop) off the exit and then replaced the crank sensor. Still, same results. He worked on it for 2 days and said i needed a new computer. Myself, my 7 year old son and our dog were stuck in TN for 6 days. We pan handled enough for our motel stay, thankfully we had food stamps to feed ourselves. I had just enough to fix the last repair (a new PCM totaling in at $600) and thankfully we made it to SC. As we pulled into the driveway smoke rolled out of my car. It started overheating the last few miles. Strange because it was only when we went low speeds, was fine on the interstate. I was told this could be the radiator fan. After a few days I went out and put fluids in her and she ran short distances but after a few miles she would start jerking again and the check engine light would come on and sometimes she would die. I used her for music in the back yard the other night and she died. I tried jumping her but she only made it out of the driveway, we had to push her back in. I'm still getting the same codes as were all along- p1684 (battery disconnect within 50 starts) and p1391 (cam/crank shaft sensor) along with a new one- p420 which is catalyst inefficient. SO my question is, could it have been the sensor all along and the mechanic just didn't know what he was doing? Could the catalytic converter have caused all these problems but not shown the code? Could it still be the battery cables or my alternator/ battery?
ALSO, the girl who previously owned the car said someone put sugar in the gas tank but she had it flushed, could this be a contributor? I'm in desperate need of help any advise would help as ALL of my funds have been exhausted and now we are in a new state with no means of getting around. Thank you so much for reading and please let me know if i posted in the right place.

Last edited by thegirlwkalideoscopeyes; 17 Nov 2011 at 03:44 pm.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: months of battle, PLEASE HELP US

WOW that is a no so good storey
Ok first n and I hate to be the one who says this but it needs to be said
The Pt at 100,000 miles need the timing belt changed( thios is why most or a lot of people trade then at that milage the Timing belt is between $8000--$10000 and it simply has to be done)
The over heating is most likely the fan ebay has them for $89 it is a easy fix and you can do it yourself prertty easily
the Theromstst was a good idea I just hope your mech knew to bleed the air out of the system
the COmputor well i cant say anything on that so who knows
the Sensor which is either cam or crank almost HAS to be a MOPAR( read that as a dealer item) the PT does not like aftermarket sensors and when you change then using a orileys or napa or pep boys they may start but usally will not work verry long
The wires and plugs were a good idea
for me it was easier to just replace the battery cables and that will fix that issue for a long time

Here is what I woud try to do ( and I have no idea iif you can or have ever worked on a car) take the battery cables off scrub then till they shine put them back on and get them TIGHT
that will fix 1 problem
Id say it is most likely the cam sensor it to is a super easy fix but again it has to come from the Dealer and is around $60

you said you refilled it with fluid what anti freez did you use or do you remember???
the PT needs to use Zerok G-05 it is Oranger(I think)

A dead battery or low battery WILL casue you a TON OF issues
Get the battery charger and the cables cleaned or replaced
and then start from there

The cat convertor coulb be giving you fits but get the battery done first and then see what codes reapear
Old 17 Nov 2011, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
The Pt at 100,000 miles need the timing belt changed (this is why most or a lot of people trade then at that milage the Timing belt is between $8000--$10000 and it simply has to be done)

Let me just correct one thing.

The timing belt, water pump and tensioner that needs to be changed before or at 100,000 miles DOESN'T cost nearly $8000--$10000. Other wise EVERYONE would be selling their PT's before then.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Nov 2011 at 04:11 pm.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 05:01 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Yeah, too many zeros...is $800 to $1000
Old 17 Nov 2011, 05:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OKOKOK you are right it is not eight thousand to ten thousand but it still sucks

sorry about that
Old 17 Nov 2011, 06:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well the cam sensor is already replaced, i made sure the second time he replaced it that it was mopar (i found that out on this forum while we were in TN). Im waiting for the wire brush now, sprayed WD-40 on everything to get the rust off easily. No, I have never worked on cars before besides the typical oil change and tire maintenance but I work on computers for a living and almost became a mechanic so the work isn't hard for me, its just knowing what to do when. Thank you and I will keep posted what the results are once the cables are fixed. oh, and the anti-freeze i used was auto-zone 50/50

Last edited by thegirlwkalideoscopeyes; 17 Nov 2011 at 06:04 pm.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 06:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Chrysler says that only anti-freeze with the HOAT (Hybrid organic acid technology) will work well on Chrysler products. G-05 is compatible. Anything else with rot out the internals of the radiator. Auto-Zone 50/50 isn't recommended.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 09:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Regarding sugar in your gas tank, it has no affect at all. It might make it burble a bit, but it really has no affect. Watched that on MythBusters...lol....
Old 18 Nov 2011, 09:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

wow i missed that one chrome so it wont hurt anything????? I sure thoughtit would gum up the fuel pump and injectors
Old 18 Nov 2011, 03:24 pm
Young Cruiser

I noticed you said two things here that most people missed. That it is fine for a few minutes then it starts sputtering... If your battery is dying then it is telling me there may be two issues here. One you have addressed with the battery terminals. A coat of grease on the terminals will also help prevent corrosion as well. The other part is the alternator. If the alernator is not running correctly then that will cause the battery not to charge and the battery will run itself down. One simple way to check with out removing it is to start the car and disconnect the positive battery cable. If the car dies then your alternator is bad. If it keeps running then there can other issues. If the alternator is bad and not charging the battery and the car is running off the battery when the battery power gets low it can not support everything and sensors start to stop functioning and can cause all sorts of weird codes to the brain. Other than that check your throttle body (never hurts to clean that) as well as run fuel system cleaner into the gas tank. Sometimes having a system flushed causes damage. (experiance with a transmission). When or if you get another mechanic find one that will actually get in the car and drive it. Those are the ones that will fix what is wrong not what it sounds like is wrong.

Tags
2001 pt cruiser limited, mechanical advice, repair, tips, troubleshooting