PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bypass MFS & wire fogs directly to headlights? Possible or Crazy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Nov 2011, 10:15 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Bypass MFS & wire fogs directly to headlights? Possible or Crazy?

MFS went out in my 5spd GT. Ive already replaced the MFS in my ATX GT and I dont want to shell out that kind of money again. I think I am able enough to repair the switch, but would just rather not if I can get around it.

Instead I was hoping I could just wire them directly to my headlights somehow. That way whenever the headlights are on, the lower fogs are on too. And same for when they are off. Is this possible?

Can I bypass the MFS this way? Or would I have to disconnect the fogs from the MSF and wire in an aftermarket switch somewhere in the cabin?

Before you ask If Ive searched the forum, yes. Ive done a little research and have somewhat found my answer. Id just like to be reassured.

I also found a very very little write up of someone who bypassed the MFS and mounted an aftermarket Chevy switch from the 30's or something into the spot that use to carry a power outlet. I'd rather not go that route if I can avoid it. But if need be I will, however a better write up would be nice.

Anyone got some $0.02 they could throw my way on this subject?

2004 PT GT ATX: (Daily Driver) Airbox Mod w/ K&N Filter, Custom Intake Pipe, HKS BOV, Dejon Powerhouse UIP, Mopar Stage 1 PCM, 3 Guage Pillar Pod, Boost Guage, Oil Temp Guage, Air Fuel Ratio w Wideband, Reinforced OEM Motor Mounts, Ceramic Pads, Flameball Shifter (Ivory w/ Red Flame), Kenwood 12" w/ 800w Sony Xplod
Old 18 Nov 2011, 10:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bypass MFS & wire fogs directly to headlights? Possible or Crazy?

You can get a relay and trigger it off the low beam wire. Not easy accessing wires in the harness and you need to find a home for the relay. I'd get heavy wire and put in an inline fuse and come right off the battery, thru relay to the fogs and disconnect the existing wires at the fogs.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Nov 2011, 12:12 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Here is how to put a relay for the foglights. Is called "Relaying Fog Lights" in the Mod Bible.

PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 01:00 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallahasseeGT View Post
I also found a very very little write up of someone who bypassed the MFS and mounted an aftermarket Chevy switch from the 30's or something into the spot that use to carry a power outlet. I'd rather not go that route if I can avoid it. But if need be I will, however a better write up would be nice.
That would be sanatanadharma - here's a page from his blog showing what he did - http://2004ptcruiser.shutterfly.com/89

Last edited by harrym; 18 Nov 2011 at 01:06 pm.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 04:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
Here is how to put a relay for the foglights. Is called "Relaying Fog Lights" in the Mod Bible.

PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.
Will this make my fog light symbol in my dash go off too?? I hate that pesky little green light.

2004 PT GT ATX: (Daily Driver) Airbox Mod w/ K&N Filter, Custom Intake Pipe, HKS BOV, Dejon Powerhouse UIP, Mopar Stage 1 PCM, 3 Guage Pillar Pod, Boost Guage, Oil Temp Guage, Air Fuel Ratio w Wideband, Reinforced OEM Motor Mounts, Ceramic Pads, Flameball Shifter (Ivory w/ Red Flame), Kenwood 12" w/ 800w Sony Xplod
Old 18 Nov 2011, 05:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you run your fogs directly to another switch you will not get any indication on your dash. After replacing my MFS, I ran my fogs to a relay but left them on the MFS for control. I get the indication when I turn them on, but there is no load now going through the MFS so it will last longer.
Old 19 Nov 2011, 01:07 am
Veteran Cruiser

The PTcrew.com post instructions will not disable the fog light indicator on the dash. As Chromenut writes, the green dash idiot light will illuminate as long as you continue to use the multifunction switch to control the fog lights, whether directly or through a relay. A separate switch wired into the circuit as I did, to replace the multifunction switch (using the same wiring) will also leave the green light functional.
To disable the green light, you need to cut one of the two light blue wires from pin #14 at the multifunction switch; and it has to be the correct wire; the one going to the instrument panel.
This light blue wire can also be cut at the black C2 instrument panel connector (pin #1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallahasseeGT View Post
Will this make my fog light symbol in my dash go off too?? I hate that pesky little green light.
Old 19 Nov 2011, 09:39 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I need to do something similar on my cruiser. Thanks for posting the links in this thread.

I think this needs to be moved to the tech section so that it can be found easier in the future.
Old 19 Nov 2011, 10:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's another write-up like we have but it's from the UK Cruisers site. The person that was having problems said he fixed his MFS in about 20 minutes.

UK Cruiser Club :: View topic - Fog light problem - fixed!
Old 20 Nov 2011, 09:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You can bypass the MFS as the switch wears out over time. You'll need a switch to put in the dash under the radio next to the rear wiper washer in the 2004. You'll need a switch, a roll of wire, soldiering iron, soldier, heat shrink tubing, figure for about 4 to 5 feet of line approx. (it has been a year or so since I did this) This is your best bet to avoid running your battery down. Oh do not forget to find a wiring schematic for the lights and MFS. The post above may be right on the exact number line to cut but you will basically split that particular wire and run the wire to the switch. Also wrap the full length of the wires with so heat covering like split loom tubing. Use the heat shrink to cover the soldiered connection and avoid sparks and popping fuses. (but you knew that) I hope this helps. 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE 2.4, Auto, AC, 165k still running strong, 20-24 mpg, with K&N filter, and aftermarket transpan with drain plug for less mess. Check Advance Auto for the transpan.