PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

P0016 & P0340 - Recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Nov 2011, 08:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0016 & P0340 - Recommendations?

Hey guys, I've been reading and searching the forums to see what would be the best steps to get my 2004 (standard) pt cruiser running again. It's at 110K mileage.

My wife pulled out of the driveway, got to the stop sign and the car died. Check engine and oil lights came on. Car acts like it is trying to turn over, just no spark.

My question is this- Since there are two errors (crank shaft sensor & camshaft sensor I believe) does this actually point me to the timing belt? Is there a way to check to see if it is the belt and not the sensors?

Or is it best to get a Mopar Camshaft Position Sensor and try changing that first, since it is the easiest of the 3 to change out?

Any help is appreciated!
Old 18 Nov 2011, 09:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0016 & P0340 - Recommendations?

It's almost a positive that it's your timing belt. The mileage and fault codes both fit the scenario. We've seen it time and time again.

One way to check is to take off the Camshaft sensor. There you can see the end of one of the cam shafts. Have someone try and start the car and you look to see if the camshaft is turning. It should turn unless the belt is broken.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 19 Nov 2011, 03:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Removed sensor and tried starting. Cam Shaft moves back and forth a bit, but it definitely isn't spinning. Guess that means tow it to a mechanic and pay 1k to get it fixed?
Old 19 Nov 2011, 03:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Look around, try and find someone that has done it before and check out prices. It varies quite a bit. Parts (belt, water pump and new tensioner) run somewhere around $250-300. It's the labor that kills you. Water pump is 100K old so you might not think yo need it but it does wear out and it takes the same amount of time to change that as it does the belt. They changed the belt tensioner in 04 to a new style.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 09:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Can it be fixed. Meaning if I replace the ware pump and tensioners and belt will I have any problems? From what I understood that if a belt breaks then you are up creek without a paddle because it messes up your valves and pistons?
Old 24 Aug 2012, 10:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

There has been countless heated discussions regarding interference vs non interference style motors and timing belt repairs. All I can tell you is this. I've personally done 2 timing belts on 2 different PT's and neither one had an issue after the repair. Both motors were fine. If yours broke while at low speed or idle, you should be fine. Check out RockAuto Auto Parts for parts. They were reasonable and had a complete kit including the water pump.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 10:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylandrussell View Post
Hey guys, I've been reading and searching the forums to see what would be the best steps to get my 2004 (standard) pt cruiser running again. It's at 110K mileage.

My wife pulled out of the driveway, got to the stop sign and the car died. Check engine and oil lights came on. Car acts like it is trying to turn over, just no spark.

My question is this- Since there are two errors (crank shaft sensor & camshaft sensor I believe) does this actually point me to the timing belt? Is there a way to check to see if it is the belt and not the sensors?

Or is it best to get a Mopar Camshaft Position Sensor and try changing that first, since it is the easiest of the 3 to change out?

Any help is appreciated!
Those are the exact codes I recently got when my timing belt broke.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 10:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok guys I will give it a go and replace the tensioners and belt and water pump. It was at a low speed that it stalled but I drove it about 110 miles right before it stalled. The reason I asked is I spoke to two people who both said that if it is the timing belt that if it breaks it leaves the valves open and they then cause the piston to bottom out on them as they should be closed in combustion. But I am with you fellas I hope it hasnt damaged anything. I will post once I have finished the work tomorrow.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 06:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

As CrewChief said; the PT has a Non-interference engine. The pistons can't hit the valves when the belt breaks. IF you were at high speed (which you say you weren't) the opposing valves from each bank could hit each other but that very rarely happens.

Tags
2004, p0016, p0340, timing belt