PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New plugs cause a temp rise?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2011, 10:05 am
Young Cruiser

Default New plugs cause a temp rise?

Hi all,

I've been slowly crossing things off my list of things to help me really take ownership of my new PT. I just changed the plugs to Champion Dbl Plat gapped at .40, and put new wires on as well. (I read the incredible 'how to' post on changing plugs and turns out I don't have an EGR tube sticking out of the back of the manifold - maybe because I'm in the UK?)

Anyway, from what I remember, my temp gauge has always been right on 50%, but I noticed the other day that while in stuck in traffic, it crept up to just under 75%. It went right down as soon as I started moving. Have I forgotten to plug something back in? Would the new plugs make it run a little hotter? Or was it doing this before and I just didn't notice?

Fixed: Cloudy headlights, Rear Defogger, Rear Wiper Motor, Multifunction Switch, Clunking noise up front......
BUT-Odometer not recording every mile-Turn signal warning chime always chimes-Temperature light always on...
...Still love the damn thing
Old 19 Nov 2011, 10:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New plugs cause a temp rise?

Yes, you don't have the emissions regulations over in the UK that we have so that could be the reason why you don't have the EGR valve. The 00-01-02 PT's should have that pipe in the back of the upper manifold. Are the holes plugged up where that EGR pipe would attach to the back of the manifold?

Changing plugs and wires (same kind I'm using) shouldn't have anything to do with the coolant temperature. I can't think of anything that you might have messed with to affect that temperature rise but do check the fan, that's it's coming on when it should and the coolant levels.
Old 19 Nov 2011, 10:21 am
Young Cruiser

Yes, there is a plastic looking face plate that's held over the opening of the missing EGR pipe with the two bolts you would normally find. I'll have a look to make sure the fans are coming on next time I take it out.

Thanks

Fixed: Cloudy headlights, Rear Defogger, Rear Wiper Motor, Multifunction Switch, Clunking noise up front......
BUT-Odometer not recording every mile-Turn signal warning chime always chimes-Temperature light always on...
Old 19 Nov 2011, 01:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

UK, that How-To Sticky on spark plug removal, omits a crucial step on some models ( I have a 2003 Limited). For instance, a 13mm bolt that connects the throttle body bracket to the back of the upper manifold.

The first time I used that sticky, I followed the instructions to the letter. Since I had no EGR, I didn't have to fool with that. But after disassembling everything according to the instructions, I found that I could only lift up the upper manifold a few inches without encountering resistance.

Then I looked at the back of the upper manifold and realized that there was an "unmentioned" 13mm bolt, connecting the throttle-bracket to the manifold. After removing this bolt (and its rubber grommet), the upper manifold lifted way up, allowing me plenty of room to replace the plugs and plug wires.

I suspect that if one attempts to force the upper manifold up (to gain the necessary clearance to work)--without first removing this 13 mm bolt at the back, it may be possible to warp, distort, or even crack the manifold in that area.

Perhaps your model has this same kind of arrangement.

Tim
Old 19 Nov 2011, 02:44 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
UK, that How-To Sticky on spark plug removal, omits a crucial step on some models ( I have a 2003 Limited). For instance, a 13mm bolt that connects the throttle body bracket to the back of the upper manifold.
If I'm understanding you correctly, it seems that this is covered in Step 6 & 7 of the HowTo, is that right? In any case, that's the bolt I took off.

I was trying to be as careful as I could to raise the manifold. I used a bungy between the manifold and the hood to hold it up, and now that I think about it, I remember maybe slightly pinching... the MAP sensor?...against the expansion tank. But just so it was touching, not forcing it at all. But if that was damaged, wouldn't I that make the car run badly and wouldn't I get a fault code? But car is running fine right now, except for the rise in temperature - that I still need to double check re:fans and such.

Old 19 Nov 2011, 07:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

I removed the MAP Sensor (it just has two small Torx screws holding it in) and set it aside. But if you merely touched the overflow bottle--without putting a lot of pressure on it, then I'd assume you didn't damage it.

It really sounds like you have an unrelated problem with your cooling system. Check that the fan comes on both speeds (you'll be able to feel the low speed air rushing between the radiator and the front of the motor, but not hear it very well; the high speed will make a very noticeable whirring noise that is far more noticeable).

Tip: You might have to turn on your A/C to get your fan's high speed to come on.

Also, warm up the engine, then turn on your heater to full heat--with the fan on high. If you feel a lot of heat, then you know your water pump is pumping okay. I'd suspect the fan, first, however; since PT fans are notorious for going kaput.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 19 Nov 2011, 07:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

UK, I just re-read the Plug-removal Sticky. Steps 6 and 7 were referring to the 13mm bolt to the right side (and under) the throttle body. The unmentioned 13mm bolt I was referring to in my first reply is actually at the very back (and to the left) of the throttle body. This 13mm bolt (and rubber grommet) attaches the throttle body bracket to the REAR of the upper manifold, in an area close to where the older models had the EGR valve.

Before removing this second 13mm bolt, I was unable to lift the upper manifold without a lot of resistance. The Sticky did not mention this because the guy who wrote the Sticky may not have had the same bracket to manifold arrangement on his year/model.

Tim
Old 20 Nov 2011, 07:41 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the extra explanation. I was able to pivot the manifold on that bolt without much trouble. In the end, I think you're right, it's probably something to do with the slow fan speed. I just warmed the car up and the only way I could get the fan on was to play around with the heater or A/C. I know the manual has a good page dedicated to testing the fan. I'll be looking at that.