Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt -__-

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Nov 2011, 09:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Timing Belt -__-

so recently I changed the timing belt in my 03 and wow was it a pain in the a**. I was gonna have a guy who comes into my store all the time to get parts from us to do it, Then it turned into him showing me how to do it. Uhh, yeah. Not fun. I think altogether, i had roughly a weekend into tearing down/ changing the belt/ reassembly. Now, at the end of it, i did 99% of the work while the guy gave me tips and helped out a little when it was needed. He quoted me at $350 for him to do it, and i paid him $120 for lettting me use his garage and putting up with me haha.

While I was in there, I found out my cam seals were leaking. I was told its a common thing to start leaking oil from. I ended up tearing one of the new ones(rookie mistake) It was defently a learning expirence. Looking back, would I say i'd wanna do it again? its a split thing. I got to learn something, but wow alot of work. Has anyone else done their own timing belts?
Old 23 Nov 2011, 10:03 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt -__-

Yes, I did it on every car I owned...Did it on my wife's N/A, helped a fellow member to finish his and soon I'll be doing mine ....looking forward to that day or maybe not
Old 23 Nov 2011, 10:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

i hear ya, This was my very first time with this kinda work. It worked out quite nicely in the end.
Old 23 Nov 2011, 10:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Planed to do the timing belt and waterpump, ended up installing and removing the belt three times. 1st time, brand new tensioner bracket was bent, caused the timing belt to walk outward. 2nd time, new center mount bolt was too long for anchor center mount, which pitched the tensioner, which caused the timing belt to walk outward again. 3rd time did it right, plus the cam seals, front crank seal, engine mounts, cutting the center engine mount bolt, etc.

Watch out for anchor engine mounts!!
Old 23 Nov 2011, 10:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

I did mine, it was quite a project but also quite rewarding to get it done! Much different than other automotive projects I've done...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 23 Nov 2011, 11:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

yeah it was a needed to be done kinda thing. I was happy that it was done, and i saved some money too!
Old 24 Nov 2011, 12:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

First time; sucks.
Second time, sucks less
after that it get boring
Old 26 Nov 2011, 12:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

yeah for sure. No somethin i wanna do again though
Old 26 Nov 2011, 05:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm hoping to never do mine again. I used Mopar water pump, tensioner and idler w/ Gates belt. It would be easier the second time because of the knowledge gained from performing the actual assembly.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 12:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So Im in the middle of this mess now myself. I had to take the head off so why not. I had to destroy the inner timing cover to get the had off (I know how to do it now) and have to replace this while in the car. The question is,, how the heck do you do this??? I have the new inner cover and I understand how it installs but how can you get the front engine mount/bracket ect to slip between the inner fender mount and the plastic inner timing cover???