Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Belt noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Nov 2011, 12:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Belt noise

I went through the archives to find info about belt noises and couldn't find a definitive answer. I had the timing belt and power steering belts changed a few months ago and recently I started hearing chirping (heard at any engine temperature and tic-tic-tic rhythm accelerates with RPM).

The mechanic who recently looked at the car took the belt tensioner out and said it was fine, he put it back on and greased it up, the chirping went away for a day or two. However, he also commented on how loose the belt was, he couldn't tell whether they're designed this way.

On google, I found an article that states the following:

PT Cruiser… Chrysler advises that 2003–2004 PT Cruisers equipped with the 2.4L engine may encounter a belt squeal or chirping sound. The noise condition is caused by the power steering pump pulley being pressed too far onto the pump shaft. If the pulley is more than 0.016 inch from the end of the pump shaft, the noise condition can exist. Chrysler recommends that the pulley end be flush with the pump shaft. To attach the puller to the pulley it will be necessary to remove the right front tire and wheel assembly, the splash shield forward of the suspension, and the right headlight assembly. This will allow the puller to be attached through the headlight opening.

Any help appreciated!
Old 25 Nov 2011, 03:44 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Belt noise

Was the idler changed? It's on the same bolt used to move the tensioner. The bearing is sealed so there is nothing can be done without replacing. It can be purchased separately from the tensioner assembly.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 25 Nov 2011, 05:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdr59 View Post
Was the idler changed? It's on the same bolt used to move the tensioner. The bearing is sealed so there is nothing can be done without replacing. It can be purchased separately from the tensioner assembly.
Hmm I'll have to ask the mechanic about this! Thanks for pointing it out, very useful!
Old 25 Nov 2011, 06:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

While it's running, spray accessory belt with Braklean or similar dispersant.
Warning: If belt sprays some in your eyes, you'll want to punch someone.

See if noise goes away for that moment
Old 25 Nov 2011, 11:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
While it's running, spray accessory belt with Braklean or similar dispersant.
Warning: If belt sprays some in your eyes, you'll want to punch someone.

See if noise goes away for that moment
What's Braklean? Brake cleaner? If that's what you mean, you're right I wouldn't want that near my eyes.. serious stuff! Will give it a try tomorrow and report back, noise is embarrassing..

EDIT: I did spray brake cleaner on the belt as the engine was running and the noise disappeared momentarily but came back a few seconds after.. not sure this indicates anything?

Last edited by PT123; 26 Nov 2011 at 02:53 pm.
Old 21 Jan 2012, 03:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to niel
Question Re: Belt noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT123 View Post
What's Braklean? Brake cleaner? If that's what you mean, you're right I wouldn't want that near my eyes.. serious stuff! Will give it a try tomorrow and report back, noise is embarrassing..

EDIT: I did spray brake cleaner on the belt as the engine was running and the noise disappeared momentarily but came back a few seconds after.. not sure this indicates anything?
So What happened?
Old 21 Jan 2012, 04:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel View Post
So What happened?
It means its a belt noise. Replace the belt, Its the only cure I'v found.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 09:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This seems to be a "thing" with some PT Cruisers. Both my 2001 Limited and 2005 GT had squealing belts at times. Adding new belts and a new tensioner (on the 2001) helped. But there was still some squealing for a few seconds after start up on a wet day or when going though a mud puddle where water gets on the belts.

Here's some things I found that helped me:

Quote:
PT Cruiser… Chrysler advises that 2003–2004 PT Cruisers equipped with the 2.4L engine may encounter a belt squeal or chirping sound. The noise condition is caused by the power steering pump pulley being pressed too far onto the pump shaft. If the pulley is more than 0.016 inch from the end of the pump shaft, the noise condition can exist. Chrysler recommends that the pulley end be flush with the pump shaft. To attach the puller to the pulley it will be necessary to remove the right front tire and wheel assembly, the splash shield forward of the suspension, and the right headlight assembly. This will allow the puller to be attached through the headlight opening.
Quote:
Chrysler recommends the use of certain tools or the DRB III scan tool to adjust the belt tension. Of course us back yard mechanics don't have all of these tools. The span between the pulleys for the Alt/Generator belt is fairly short and I would say pressing down in the middle of the span with a fair amount of pressure, the belt should only deflect about 1 inch.

One important note, never ues a belt dressing in these multi-V belts, it will make it worse.

You may notice a squealing for a few seconds after you drive through a deep puddle because the water splashes up on the belts and causes them to squeal, although annoying, this is normal.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 12:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
This seems to be a "thing" with some PT Cruisers. Both my 2001 Limited and 2005 GT had squealing belts at times. Adding new belts and a new tensioner (on the 2001) helped. But there was still some squealing for a few seconds after start up on a wet day or when going though a mud puddle where water gets on the belts.

Here's some things I found that helped me:
Curious why you bought up a nearly 2-year old thread??

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Dec 2014, 12:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Who cares?

He brought up solution to a problem in context of it's history. What possible relevance does the date have?