Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0320

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Nov 2011, 06:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0320

I was driving home from work when after about a 1/2 hour my car shut down in traffic on the freeway. I looked at some stuff and tried to call around and get the number for a tow truck. The code the car was throwing was P0320. In the middle of this I tried to start my car again. It magically started, the code disappeared and everything worked great. Then on my way to work a few days later after about a half hour the car did the exact same thing. The next time I tried to drive home the car did the same thing again after about a half hour. Each time I got the P0320 code. Each time I had to sit for about 10 minutes and the code would go away and the car would start. However, if I tried to start it after 2 minutes it wouldn't work.

P0320 is no reference signal from crankshaft position sensor detected during cranking.

I replaced this a while back maybe six months ago when I got a similar code. When looking at the Chilton's manual I realized I hadn't torqued the position sensor down to any certain setting could that be the issue? And just because my position sensor isn't sending a signal, should that be shutting the entire engine down? I'm highly perplexed and advice would be great. Thanks!

Also one of the times I also got a P1389 code, but I didn't get that code any of the other times so I'm assuming it isn't pertinent.

Last edited by tjkilcup; 26 Nov 2011 at 06:21 pm.
Old 26 Nov 2011, 07:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0320

The P1389 "No ASD Relay Output Voltage At PCM" could be significant but I'm not sure what it means.

When you replaced the Crankshaft sensor before, did you buy the part from the Chrysler dealer? After market electrical parts are junk and either don't work at all or don't last very long. Sounds like you have the after market sensor and it's breaking down when it gets hot. Buy a new sensor from a dealer. It will cost a bit more but you know it's a good part. your problem will probably go away. As far as torquing down the sensor. As long as it's tightened down so it doesn't come loose it should be OK but if you want to do it according to the book, 115-lbs is the correct torque.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 12:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. I'll try a different part and post what the results were.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 01:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

So I bought the crankshaft position sensor from the dealer and replaced the old one. I ran it for about 4 hours today and haven't had the engine quit on me. The code didn't lie and a new crankshaft position sensor fixed the issue. I did find out while working on the car that if you disconnect the Crankshaft Position Sensor from the PCM the car will not start. So my guess is that for some reason the signal from the CPS to the PCM was intermittent and this is what was killing the engine.
Old 29 Nov 2011, 07:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Glad that fixed your problem. Another example of after market parts not working correctly. Thanks for coming back and letting us know.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 09:25 pm
Young Cruiser

Location: Centralia, Washington ( dead center between Seattle + Portland )

I am having this same darn issue again. I get about 15 minutes of driving or so and then boom dies. After sitting for 15-20 minutes..

Last time it was not the sensor itself, but a wire in the main harness that fell down from the back of engine and worn thru from rubbing on the axle.

So far I have had it die about 6 times - I had the car running up on stands, and shook the harness around where i fixed the bad wire... everything stayed on fine.
Changed the Oil, oil filter, and spark plugs - only to find out it finally crapped out after about 10 minutes of driving.

Going to try Monday for a replacement part since I had just boughten it not to long ago iirc.

Last edited by Tyrhera; 10 Dec 2011 at 09:34 pm.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 09:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Tyrhera, you sure you didn't take a page from my book? About 2 years ago my harness dropped down and hit the axle and wore through the wires and brought me to a stop at 1130PM in the middle of I95 in South Carolina. Towed to a Chrysler dealer where the diagnosed it as a bad Camshaft sensor but when the mechanic was about to replace it he found the burnt wires. I've told that story half a dozen times telling people to always check the wiring harness when they get the P0340 fault code.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 10:20 pm
Young Cruiser

Yes sir, Page in almost exact detail lol ... because of your story i found, is why i was able to fix it the 1st time it happend =)

luckily I have family in town that can tow it, and I have a little know-how so I dont have to drop $$$ at a mechanic

Well post again after I get back monday from dealer
Old 11 Dec 2011, 03:41 pm
Young Cruiser

hey Crewzin, do you remember if your mechanic replaced the whole wire ? or spliced in peices where they were burnt ...

wondering if my splice is malfunctioning rather then the actual unit being down
Old 11 Dec 2011, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

He spliced each wire that was burnt and then wrapped it all like it was a new harness. It's been that way for years now working fine with the original camshaft sensor.

Tags
p0320, shutdown, stall