Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 PT Cruiser starter problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Nov 2011, 02:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation 2002 PT Cruiser starter problems

I have a 2002 PT that has had several starters replaced since 2007. My recent replacement was in October. The shop can't seem to find a reason for the failed starter. All have been tested and the starter seems to be the issue. I have read in a past forum that it could be the location of the solenoid and that the writer had this replaced at an alternator repair shop. Today, the car again would not start. I tapped the solenoid with a hammer as the key was turned and there was a flash but the vehicle started. Getting tired of loosing $300 per installment and the headaches of wondering if vehicle will start. Anybody know if the solenoid replacement works and who does this type of work in the Columbus area? Thanks.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Cruiser starter problems

Hard to believe you replaced several starters and never replaced the solenoid during any of the replacements. By tapping the solenoid and the starter worked, you've proven that the problem is the solenoid.

BTW: Your the first I've heard that had to replace so many starters and there's nothing wrong with the location of the solenoid because if there was, we would have had stories like yours over and over.

The starter solenoid receives a large electric current from the car battery and a small electric current from the ignition switch. When the ignition switch is turned on, a small electric current is sent to the starter solenoid. This causes the starter solenoid to close a pair of heavy contacts, thus relaying a large electric current to the starter motor, which in turn sets the engine in motion.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 27 Nov 2011 at 02:47 pm.