Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Another Timing Belt SNAFU

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Nov 2011, 07:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Another Timing Belt SNAFU

First time poster but have been picking up info here for a while now. Thanks for all the help!
I have a dilemma that maybe someone has seen before. A little pre-dilemma story first. I rescued from the original owner a ’01 PT Touring with 86k miles from going to Cash for Clunkers program. After the PT had its front driver window bashed in, radio stolen and battery rapidly removed including the radiator neck broken off, the owner lost interest and wanted it gone.
I drove her about 3k miles then broke the timing belt. I replaced the timing belt, idler and 1st style tensioner. 12k miles later it needs another belt as it is fraying. This time I ordered the kit with the 2nd design tensioner which the parts are not here yet but shipped today.
But here is the dilemma….. I noticed when I took it apart the belt had ran all the way to the rear and was fraying on the rear plastic cover. It eventually jumped 2 teeth on the crank and left the wife stranded. When I center the belt and turn the engine over by the crank bolt, the belt runs slowly to the rear until it is riding against the plastic cover. I removed the tensioner and idler and see nothing wrong with either.
What would cause the belt to run out of alignment?
Also the 2nd gen tensioner that comes in the Dayco kit has the front cover included in the kit. So I’m guessing the cover needs to be replaced on the ’01 and ’02 models to install the 2nd gen tensioner. I’m guessing the cam gears need to be removed so I can replace the cover.
Will the cam gears come off without a puller? Are they a slip fit or interference fit?
All in all, the PT is a good car but expensive to get to this point. Other than this timing belt issue, I have replaced the driver window, Alpine stereo, control arms, struts and shocks, inner and outer tie rods, motor mounts, battery, radiator, fan, tires and first timing belt. Oh yeah… the evaporator. I didn’t do the evaporator myself. I paid the large dollars for that one. A/C is like a meat locker blowing about 38 degrees. I don’t think the PT had a hard life running around Tampa with the original owner but the suspension was sure used up.
What do you think? Thanks for the input.

Thanks,
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0241 (Small).jpg (96.2 KB, 46 views)
Old 28 Nov 2011, 08:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Another Timing Belt SNAFU

Cam bolts loosen by putting a socket (8 or 10mm, don't recall) on
cover bolts to stop gear spokes. Gears literally fall off after that.
(arrows point to location (unseen in this photo) of cover bolts)

Water pump gear has the backstop for belt, if idler bracket is bent this will also cause belt to walk.

I'd buy the kit, and get a waterpump from Chrysler.

Ensure you torque cam bolts to specified torque!!!
Old 28 Nov 2011, 09:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just replaced belt on an 02 non turbo, and the first go around I had the tensioner wedged a little off, so little in fact it took awhile to figure out, and the belt walked all the way to the back. On the 02 the belt rides about 1/4" from the front of the cam pulleys, don't know about the 01, good luck!!!
Old 28 Nov 2011, 10:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Very short intake side clearance
Thanks for the info. I don't understand the side clearance comment.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 10:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 28 Nov 2011, 10:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
You will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well I hope it doesn't hurt or cost too much.
Old 01 Dec 2011, 07:46 am
Fanatic Cruiser

A failing tensioner can cause the belt to walk.
Old 01 Dec 2011, 09:47 am
Regular Cruiser

A bent tension bracket can cause the belt to walk to the outter, so is using an anchor center mount, read my signature.

Watch out for anchor engine mounts!!
Old 04 Dec 2011, 07:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the responses and tips.
On the old and new tensioner when placed side by side I could see a slight difference in the angle. Looks like the old tensioner would cause the belt to walk to the rear. This might have happened on the first belt break where it looked like the belt ran over itself before it broke which hosed the tensioner mount. So with new style kit I started the engine still sitting on the jack to make sure the belt was centered. Looks great! I did that because the first time I had it together I missed on the cam timing.
And I am using an anchor mount. I will take a good looksee.
I'm also going to use the old front cover fronts instead of the new front cover fronts. I can removed and install the old front cover fronts without having to unbolt the nasty PITA engine front mount. I still have not figured a good way to get that mount in and outta there. Not on the road yet. Hopefully today.

Bill
Old 04 Dec 2011, 11:45 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTFL View Post
So with new style kit I started the engine still sitting on the jack to make sure the belt was centered.
Now that's Smart!!!!

Tags
timing belt kit