PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
complete srt4 brake conversion....is it possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Nov 2011, 01:41 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik
Default complete srt4 brake conversion....is it possible?

Does anyone know the differences between the pt Gt and srt4 brakes?
I remember reading somewhere that they were nearly or actually were identical.

if this is true.

if it possible to put the brake set up from either a pt gt or srt4 on a non-turbo base model pt cruiser?

what would be potential pit falls?
axels too thick or to thin?
too many or too few splines?
different bolts?
different wheel bolt patterns?

what about installing the rears to replace a rear drum set up?
again is it possible to bolt it up?
from my understanding disc brakes have been a optional dealer installed add on since the pt rolled off the line.
then of course youd have to set up the parking brake.
would the stock parking brake cable work and attach to the parking brake in teh rear rotors?
or would you have to replace that little item as well?

what about porportioning valves?
brake master cylinder?
and/or booster?

since the weight of the car is not changing and all your really doing is adding bigger brakes both front and rear...a complete brakes system(technically) that has already been designed to balance each other out I would imagine the stock valves should keep the same if not similar brake bias/balance .... youd just have stronger brakes.

the brake booster likely would be fine to keep.
with the bigger calipers I'd imagine, you'd probably want to also go with the matching master cylinder though. (assuming they are different aka srt4 brakes with srt4 master cylinder and vise versa with pt gt brakes)

and if you were to go to all that trouble might as well replace the brake lines with some nice lookin stainless steel lines.

In my particular set up electornics shouldn't matter since I don't have abs

I've always wanted to try doin a conversion. plus I also believe that stopping a vehicle is infinitly more important than starting or moving a vehicle.
just curious if anyone knows the info I seek and would be willing to part with said information.

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed
Old 30 Nov 2011, 10:58 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: complete srt4 brake conversion....is it possible?

Itís very easy to upgrade the front brakes and you will get most of the bang with very little effort. I found the standard brakes to feel less than adequate and upgraded my car by putting the front calipers and rotors from an SRT4 Neon on my car which was a lite turbo with rear drums and no ABS (both were 05ís). I started with a used set of parts off ebay and the difference was very noticeable. More braking power and the original setup which had problems of warped rotors at very low miles has had no issues with the upgrade parts which lasted 3 years and 50,000 miles with no problems (this was with used parts mind you). The PT GT front and Neon SRT4 front are both the same except red paint on the calipers and brackets for the neon parts. The correct calipers will be embossed turbo. The pads are the same on these and your car and the rotors are the same diameter but a lot thicker on the turbo spec parts. The hydraulic hoses are the same so no changes there. You will need two front calipers, two front rotors and two caliper mounting brackets. I believe the bolting is all the same, but I would try and get the bolts with the other parts to be sure. The pads are all the same, but new pads would not be a bad idea.
I do not have experience with putting on rear discs, but believe when it was discussed in the past, the best path was to do a complete rear axle swap from a PT GT. To put on the rear discs, the proportioning valves which are on the side of the master cylinder would also need to be removed. This is a lot of trouble compared to the front swap and you would need to do more research if that was what you were looking for.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 04:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Interesting how people are always trying to put neon srt-4 parts on their PT. I must own a very envied car. My GT, though, stops just fine and I know those brakes/rotor will fit just fine on a na PT. If I was to upgrade I'd go aftermarket brake parts for the PT. You know they will fit.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 08:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

I know several that have converted the rear shoe setup over to disc setup. Basically change the rear beam out from one that came with disc. No changes of the proportioning valves and master cylinder and it works fine. As for the fronts, rotors and calipers from a turbo pt or srt4 is all.

Wheel bolt up stays the same HOWEVER be sure to test fit wheels. Its not the offset that can get you but the spoke thickness. The turbo calipers are thick and can hit the wheel backside even if the offset is correct for a PT.

Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTMAN View Post
Interesting how people are always trying to put neon srt-4 parts on their PT.
Its not an envy thing but there is a bigger market/supply for parts on these cars meaning its easier/cheaper for PT's that can use most of the stuff from them.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 08:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwing777 View Post
I know several that have converted the rear shoe setup over to disc setup. Basically change the rear beam out from one that came with disc. No changes of the proportioning valves and master cylinder and it works fine. As for the fronts, rotors and calipers from a turbo pt or srt4 is all.

Wheel bolt up stays the same HOWEVER be sure to test fit wheels. Its not the offset that can get you but the spoke thickness. The turbo calipers are thick and can hit the wheel backside even if the offset is correct for a PT.

Also:

Its not an envy thing but there is a bigger market/supply for parts on these cars meaning its easier/cheaper for PT's that can use most of the stuff from them.
It is an envy thing when people are putting SRT emblems on their PTs or claiming they put a srt-4 engine in their car and their car is now an SRT PT
Plenty of PT folks with SRT envy, though I've never mistaken my GT for my srt-4.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 09:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTMAN View Post
It is an envy thing when people are putting SRT emblems on their PTs or claiming they put a srt-4 engine in their car and their car is now an SRT PT
Plenty of PT folks with SRT envy, though I've never mistaken my GT for my srt-4.
So what does it mean when I put that PT (GT) Engine in an SRT4???

Maybe it's now an SRPT4?

2001 PT Cruiser - NA - 5 Speed - Exhaust and CAI Mods - It's alive!!!
Old 01 Dec 2011, 07:41 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik

well 2004gtman
I don't plan on putting any srt emblems on my vehicle atm(though I might not have a choice if I pick up srt4 calipers instead of pt gt calipers...just depends on who's cheaper and if I like red calipers instead of black ones LOL).
but I would imagine it is similar to the import guys who put
"SI" "SiR" "type R" etc. emblems on their vehicles.
I wouldn't calisfy it was envy, I would classify it as flattery.
that old saying about the best form of flatter is imitation (or something to that effect).
the biggest envy I might have though is your vehicle comes standard with rear disc brakes :-P

I would also agree with Xwing777
plain and simple the srt4 has a much stronger aftermarket that allows considerably more options than the pt's likewise lackluster(at least on the performance side) aftermarket.
and considering that they both run on very similar chassis, with extremely simlar powertrains, and that several parts are shared between the vehicles it just plain makes since to try and fit srt4 parts/products on the pt where it could be benficial(simlar to your mentioning the srt4 engine mounts while looking nearly identical to the pt mounts are built with better rubber compounds).
again similar to people putting integra parts and motors on and in civics.
they run extremely similar chassies and have parts that are shared and bolt up to each other as well as similar and in many cases exact bolt patterns.

that's pretty much really what it comes down too 2004gtman.
I mean if I really wanted to go crazy I'd install the wilwood or similar big brake upgrade kit....which I haven't completely rulled out as an option yet. Seems to be the same kit for the srt4 as for the pt.
but to be honest I probably don't need that much brake. And 500-600 dollars just for a front brake kit I could theorretically upgrade to an srt4 oem system with some decent pads for probably half of that. (not including rear disc conversion of course)
and heck if the srt4 stuff bolts up with little to no modification...why the heck not do it?

anyways.
so for rear disc you have to swap out the rear axle.....well that sure puts a road block in the way for a while.
i haven't been to a junkyard in a while maybe its time to go see if they have pts with rear disc LOL.

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed
Old 01 Dec 2011, 09:05 am
Cool Cruiser

hmmm... i got a 2001 pt touring edition.. it has full disk breaks?? is that normal?? lol
Old 01 Dec 2011, 04:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdskinner731 View Post
hmmm... i got a 2001 pt touring edition.. it has full disk breaks?? is that normal?? lol
Yep, my '01 Limited has rear disks too. The base models got drum brakes.

2001 PT Cruiser - NA - 5 Speed - Exhaust and CAI Mods - It's alive!!!
Old 01 Dec 2011, 06:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

srebik,
You dont have to change the rear axle beam but its usually quicker/cheaper to drop one out of a junker and just replace yours. You can take off all the parts and replace on your existing beam if you wanted though.

Theres a lot of drum loaded axels on ebay from LQK and have seen the loaded disc type on there too but they usually go fast and not many are listed. If you have a pick/pull yard around close you can do this fairly cheap.

I have seen all sorts of combos on PT's so its not uncommon to find stuff like disc on base models. I think the dealers would order any combination the customer wanted without regards to the trim package or model