Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Automatic transmission oil change

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Dec 2011, 11:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Automatic transmission oil change

I don't know if my dad has ever had the pt transmission serviced and I was wondering how many of you guys actually did your yourselves and how you did it? Is there a filter and how many quarts of oil do I need? And any specific kind besides ATF 4. Any personal likes?? What about additives? Anything good for higher mileage? I have around 117000 miles on the pt right now. Majority are highway miles too. If that makes a difference.
Old 02 Dec 2011, 11:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Automatic transmission oil change

This has been covered MANY times but I will go over it again
There are 2 basic types of tranny oil change
#1 The power flush Machine that is at most quick oil change places runns in the $175-$200 range it will get all the old oil out at 1 time some do go ahead and drop the pan and change the filter some do not but you will pay more if they do

#2 Pully the PT up on some ramps get under and loosen all the bolts have a tarp or a really big pan to catch the oil This can be messy but if you want to DIY this is how it is

you will get around 6 quarts of fluid out the filter is a super easy quick change I like to wipe out the tranny and clena off the old gasket
Take the pan to your gurage and clean it and clean the old gasket off
make sure you clean the magnet
reinstall the new filter I use some Indian Head shelack on the pan to make it sticky and to hold the new gasket in place
replace the pan making sure to tighten the bolts in a stagered pattern

add 6 quarts drive it to get it warm and then check the tranny

This will only get out about half the fluid I did this to mine then in a few months i did it again to try to get even more of the old stuff out

the filter is around $20 the fluid ATF+4 is like $5-$6 so about $36 for oil
$60 to do about half the oil and then again in a few months to do it again it is still cheaper and you know ti is done

no big diffrence in the brands just ATF+4
and no additives are needed
Old 02 Dec 2011, 11:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Automatic transmission oil change

one more thing they sell a pan with a drain plug I think its a good idea to buy and install this pan then a tranny oil change is as easy as a regular oil change and I think rock auto sells them