Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
sudjestions......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Dec 2011, 07:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default sudjestions......

Well after a big snow storm, I decided Mater does not do to well in the snow up here in CO. Thinking about moth balling her/him? for the winter and drive the truck. Last thing I want to do is repair Mater again after plowing a deer earlier in the summer, I would rather take advantage of the time and do improvements.

I still have to color sand and buff the paint from the deer repair as well. Since I purchased Mater used, and have no clue what has been done, I was thinking about yanking the engine and doing everything that I can while I have access to it in the cramped engine compartment. Timing belt and associated parts, clutch n parts, booger bushings on the shift cables, front wheel bearings, all bushings/bearings associated with front end parts, either cut or replace rotors, replace cv joints (if necessary), motor mounts.

I already have done the air box mod with a K&N air filter and a upper strut bracket. Any other suggestions as what to replace the parts with (stock vs. aftermarket) and what I should do that I have not touched on while I'm in there would be great.

Also might do some performance mods while I'm there if I can get it ok'ed with the wife.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Old 04 Dec 2011, 09:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill
Default Re: sudjestions......

Thats a good idea if youre up to it... Itd be good to keep all reciepts and document your work on here or a blog so if you sell mater you have proof that you fine tuned the engine to make sure its good for a while longer!

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 04 Dec 2011, 10:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill View Post
Thats a good idea if youre up to it... Itd be good to keep all reciepts and document your work on here or a blog so if you sell mater you have proof that you fine tuned the engine to make sure its good for a while longer!
I'm up for it, got the whole winter , Mater ain't going anywhere anytime soon. I will still document anything I will do.

Cheers!
Old 04 Dec 2011, 10:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Awesome! Let me know if u find anything u need to get rid of that I can use, im workin on my friends car trying to personalize it, those 6x9s u sent me work perfect for him!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 12 Dec 2011, 02:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Awesome! Let me know if u find anything u need to get rid of that I can use, im workin on my friends car trying to personalize it, those 6x9s u sent me work perfect for him!
Dill-

I'm glad you were able to put the speakers to good use, make sure your buddy pays you back for the shipping charges! I still have the blue rope lights and light up shifter knob, I've been working my a** off lately and have not been to storage to dig it out for you. soon as I get a chance I'll do so. I've been contemplating selling my prized A/D/S 860MX 8/6/4 channel power amp from my truck, but I'm at odds about it. Don't drive the truck too much these days, might have to let someone else enjoy it. It's the real deal, At full tilt it will draw upwards of 90 amps off the the battery, Talk about dimming headlights!

On another note, While I mothball Mater for a bit and do everything I mentioned, I get to bolt on a supercharger my wife purchased for me. She said it's my gift for the rest of my life! I'm so psyched! Can't wait to blow the doors off the high school kid in his 5.0 with Mater! LOL!
Old 12 Dec 2011, 03:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Awesome stuff! I hope youll keep us all posted on what you do!

As far as restof your life gift.. Unless ur nearing the end of ur life u should tell her psh!

Old 12 Dec 2011, 03:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Awesome stuff! I hope youll keep us all posted on what you do!

As far as restof your life gift.. Unless ur nearing the end of ur life u should tell her psh!
LOL! I'm only 44, got some time left! Unless I supercharge myself around a telephone pole! (god forbid) Live each day as if it's your last, or in my case do everything you always wanted to do when you were not able to.

Cheers!
Old 26 Dec 2011, 07:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Guys-

I know our PT's only like stock Mopar electronic parts (sensors, etc.) But what about timing belts, water pumps, tensioner, front wheel bearings, bushings, clutch, etc. ? Is it ok to go with aftermarket/rebulit products on these? While I have the engine out I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can as I don't know if it's ever been done since I purchased Mater used.

Thanks for any input.

Cheers!

Last edited by fabreezai; 26 Dec 2011 at 07:58 pm.
Old 26 Dec 2011, 07:44 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Yes you can go aftermarket on most of the parts...in fact I believe a lot of them are better than OEM
Old 26 Dec 2011, 08:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: sudjestions......

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
Yes you can go aftermarket on most of the parts...in fact I believe a lot of them are better than OEM
xx2 what XTrmDC2 said