Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05 GT trying to change out Crank Sensore. Need help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Dec 2011, 09:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 05 GT trying to change out Crank Sensor. Need help please

Well trying to change out the crank sensor and I have no room I know it is somewhere under the starter. However I don't know how to get to it from either top or bottom. Best thing I read is to remove the structural collar which I think I know where that is but with all the turbo stuff in the way and the fan shield I can not get anything to remove them. Scary thing is if I get them out how will I get them started back and tightened. If the radiator was out of the way it might be easy to reach but that looks like a chore in itself. Am I making it to hard or is it just that hard. I have searched here and elsewhere and only thing I find is a picture of where it is but not how to get through the maze. Almost got my hand stuck trying to feel in there for it.

Here is about best illustration I have found.

Last edited by radtexas; 07 Dec 2011 at 01:41 pm.
Old 05 Dec 2011, 10:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 05 GT trying to change out Crank Sensore. Need help please

Came across this explanation which is showing a different item for what I thought was to be removed.

have a 05 pt cruiser turbo..need to install part CSS953 Crank - JustAnswer

I thought item #12 was what we had to remove but item #10 is called the collar or is all this supposed to be removed?

Bolts 3,6,7,8 are impossible for me to reach. Radiator hose in the way. I have the inter-cooler and power steering lines somewhat out of the way but don't want to push things to much and they break.
Old 06 Dec 2011, 08:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

After much struggle last night going no where I hope today via some help can figure out where to go tonight for attempt two. If I don't get any direction I only see two possible options. One pull the radiator hose which might make some room. Or two try and get out the starter which may require previous option to get room.

I just have a clue how to get the bolts loose on the structural collar they show without taking lots of other items out.

And they say this is an hour job. I just don't see it but I don't do this for a living either. I would go broke.
Old 06 Dec 2011, 09:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You won't like it but so far in a search, I found this:

Answer:

it's tricky to get to but as long as you have ramps or jack stands it will be easy. once the car is off the ground high enough that you can fit underneath the engine, slide under neath and look for the starter. the starter blocks your access. remove the starter and you will see the single wire connection and the single bolt. remove the wire using a screw driver to pry the clip and undo the bolt. after that, use a pair of adjustable goose neck pliers to grab and twist the sensor and it pops out. to install do everything in reverse. grab and twist the sensor giving a little pressure to push it in place. then align and bolt down and hook the wire back, reinstall the starter and make sure it is properly mounted and you are ready to go.
Old 06 Dec 2011, 09:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the extra guidance. I have lots blocking my access to even the starter from what I have seen. Getting to the starter is a nightmare in itself. I can feel the sensor but no way can reach anything in to loosen blindly.

I have a feeling I will end up taking far more stuff off to do this than I need to. I just hope I remember to put back everything like I found it. I don't need any extra bolts left over at the end.
Old 06 Dec 2011, 09:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I hate it when instructions say something like "remove the starter" as if it's like reach it and pull it out. They don't tell you all the work that's involved with just that one instruction. I can't find a detailed description on how to do it. Maybe, if you have the time and your hands aren't all bloody and you stop cursing long enough, you can write down exactly how you managed to replace the sensor so others can follow along. No problem if you don't.
Old 07 Dec 2011, 07:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Great news. Finally got the sensor swapped and did take out more than I needed trying to go in at a different direction which didn't work. I will try and do a write up on my experience sometime later when I find a break in work. But what is shown above in the image diagram is mostly correct except for what they don't show you.

Also car cranked right up without any rough idle which it did before. Took a quick spin in the neighborhood and no sputtering at 2500 rpm's or engine light. So appears it is good at this time. Told my wife to baby it today since she is not going far from home in case something relapses or as I read the cam sensor sometimes goes shortly afterwards but that on is a piece of cake compared to this one.
Old 07 Dec 2011, 07:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Good news and good luck.
Old 07 Dec 2011, 12:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This is my experience with replacing the crank sensor on my 05 GPT Cruiser GT Turbo.

This is copied from an expert How to do Forum . Although it is basically correct there is some missing information and some steps out of order from my experience.

Expert below in red & my comments in blue:

The CKP sensor is mounted to the engine block near the starter.
Use the following steps to R&I the sensor: The Crankshaft Position Sensor is in the front of the engine block just under the starter motor

(1) Disconnect the negative battery cable.

(2) Raise vehicle and support. (I put on ramps and was fine laying on my back)

(3) On 2.4L SRT-4 remove the lower inner cooler hose from the metal tube.

Note: I did not remove the rubber hose as it appears to have a factory joint at the metal tube to rubber elbow connection. I just took the clamp loose that attaches to the inter-cooler and twisted out of the way. The metal tube is a pain to move but it does move. For me it was easier to twist after I took out the two bolts that hold the metal tube and power steering lines completely out. Just take it slow and use steady pressure. I would avoid yanking it to move to avoid possible damage to the rubber connection that is up higher on the back side of the engine. I also took the other two power steering lines loose and moved out of the way.

(4) Remove the Structural Collar.
Note: For me I could not get wrenches or rackets inside without hitting the fan shroud. The only alternative I came up with was to loosen the fan and try and move it up out of the way. The only way I could get it high enough was to take off the top radiator connection and the plastic insert that goes into the radiator. This required draining the coolant. I wish there was a drain to minimize the mess but I drained via the bottom hose connection. This also opened up a little more room when I pulled the bottom hose out of the way. After all this I was able to reach the bolts. (I only took out item #12 which included bolts #'s 2,3,6,7,8 from image below) It is no easy but I got in. Luckily for me (and hopefully you) the bolts will be loose once you break them loose. That made it easy to get them out by hand. Also easy to get them hand tight when going back.

(5) Unlock and disconnect the electrical connector to the crankshaft position sensor.
Note: I flipped #5 & #6 because it was easier to get to the connector once the sensor is out.

(6) Remove the crankshaft position sensor bolt.

(7) Remove the sensor.

(8) Go back in reverse order and install. It was very tricky for me to get the little bolt started since you pretty much have to do it blind. And don't forget to put coolant back in if you have to drain it.

I hope this little write up helps. If I did just these steps I think it would have been maybe 1.5-2 hours tops. I added a few steps that were not required so I am not 100% sure of time.

Hint: If you have smaller hands or smaller but long handle rackets you might be able to avoid moving the fan shroud. My 3/8" racket handle was to short but would fit. My 1/2" racket was long enough but hit the shroud. I did all this with wrenches & 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" rackets and swivel joints helped me on a few bolts. Of course all was metric sizes.

Last edited by radtexas; 07 Dec 2011 at 01:49 pm.
Old 07 Dec 2011, 01:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you don't mind, I'll take your write-up and make it a permanent sticky in the HOW TO section. Thanks.