PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Removed the head...did not find a bad gasket...???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Dec 2011, 10:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Removed the head...did not find a bad gasket...???

But, when removing the head bolts, no.7 didn't seem as tight as the others. This was the cylinder that kept throwing the code. The gasket did look good, did not see any cracks????

It did looks like there was water getting into this area from just the extra space in the sandwich.

Going to send the head out to check for any cracks or warping. I do hope it turns out good.

2005 Touring Black - Automagic....California Smog Legal

H&R Cup Kit | TSW Sakata 18x8 35ET | Nankang NS-II 235/40/18 | SPC front alignment cam - rear shim | Master Pro Rotors | Master Pro Ceramic F/R pads | Rebuilt Cylinder Head - Safety Valves and Guides | Felpro Head Gasket and upper rebuild kit | Fail-safe 195 degree thermostat | Mopar Waterpump...lol | 3rd radiator fan motor | Gates timing belt kit | WIX filters (oil, transmission) | Mobile 1 5w30 | Mopar ATF4 | Redline Water Wetter | K&N Drop-In | 4th Drive side Axle | Energy Suspension Torque Mounts | 3rd set of Torque Mounts...

Last edited by wheelgarage; 05 Dec 2011 at 11:05 pm.
Old 06 Dec 2011, 12:50 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Removed the head...did not find a bad gasket...???

Got some dinner and looked at the gasket again.

I did noticed that the composite layer is gone, top right, between the cylinder and the water jacket.

I do see some carbon flakes on the out perimeter of the pistons. Going to clean as much out as possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(1).jpg (91.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (93.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg photo(2).jpg (92.9 KB, 23 views)

H&R Cup Kit | TSW Sakata 18x8 35ET | Nankang NS-II 235/40/18 | SPC front alignment cam - rear shim | Master Pro Rotors | Master Pro Ceramic F/R pads | Rebuilt Cylinder Head - Safety Valves and Guides | Felpro Head Gasket and upper rebuild kit | Fail-safe 195 degree thermostat | Mopar Waterpump...lol | 3rd radiator fan motor | Gates timing belt kit | WIX filters (oil, transmission) | Mobile 1 5w30 | Mopar ATF4 | Redline Water Wetter | K&N Drop-In | 4th Drive side Axle | Energy Suspension Torque Mounts | 3rd set of Torque Mounts...
Old 06 Dec 2011, 07:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm not an internal engine expert but that does look like that was your problem.
Old 06 Dec 2011, 10:34 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I'm not an internal engine expert but that does look like that was your problem.
It actually was the problem.

I did measure out the thickness through out the gasket, and yup...composite layer gonzo. I am really surprised that the gasket only lasted 100k! These types of issues always happen when two different materials are used, aluminum and iron!

I plan on reducing the amount of HOAT and increase water into mix....80% water/20% HOAT. Also, going to add Redline Water Wetter, which will reduce electrolysis. Lesson learned.

At the time I pulled the head, I isassembled the exhaust manifold and broke off one of the heat shield bolts....which piss'd me off...it was soaked in PB! Oh well, easy fix anyway.

Last edited by wheelgarage; 06 Dec 2011 at 10:37 am.