PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lower Engine Mount Q

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Dec 2011, 07:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Lower Engine Mount Q

Hi, thanks for reading this

I have a question about my 2001 pt cruiser.

this Monday, I have the lower Engine mount changed on my car.

I found out my engine vibrate a lot when in revers (very nosy too).

I brought it back to the shop, and my mechanics told me that they put the adjustable mount (the lower back one) all the way to the front. so if they moved it to the middle, it would fixed the problem

after they moved it to the middle, it didn't vibrate on revers, but it would vibrate in idle sometime (same noise), and fairly jumpy then starting the engine...

so I let them move it to the front again... choose to vibrate in revers...

do I have to pick one? is there ways to make it not vibrate at all? any instruction I can share with my mechanics? do we need to do something on the top mount to match the lower as well?

they are good guys, but just not very familiar with my car i believe..

thanks!!!
Old 06 Dec 2011, 11:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Lower Engine Mount Q

Yuan, there is a particular way to adjust the engine mounts (struts) on the PT. All adjustment is done as both upper and lower mount bolts are loosened.

The adjustment is done by measuring the distance between two points at the upper engine mount. Once that adjustment (4.70 inches) is made, then you tighten the engine mount bolts.

The Hayne's manual has the procedure in it. It shows how, duing this adjustment, ONLY the forward part of the engine is jacked up to achieve this distance.

The procedure would take a while to explain here. So buy the Hayne's Maunal at any auto parts store and read up about it. The cost is not too dear.

With proper adjustment, you should have no vibration (unless you got stiffer inserts in your new struts (engine mounts).

Tim
Old 06 Dec 2011, 11:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thank you very much for the reply. I did find a copy of that manual and find the section too.

I'm not sure what would be a good way to let my mechanics to follow a manual I brought in... would it make them feel bad...? am i telling them how to do their job...?

it will be my third visit this weekMonday inspection, today failed test adjustment (they didn't charge me).. so tomorrow... going in with a manual... hmm...

but thank you for the reply! it is very helpful
Old 07 Dec 2011, 10:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yuan--your mechanics work for you. You pay them. Apparently, you're much more polite than I am. However, you can still be nice about showing them the Hayne's manual. After all, you've had to take it back to them several times to get the job done properly. They seemingly don't know what they're doing--or else you wouldn't have to take it back again and again.

They should be the ones who feel weird--not you.

Show them the manual. show them that the adjustment is made using criteria at the UPPER mount (strut)--although they have to loosen both, the upper and lower mount bolts for the procedure. Then they have to TILT the front (only the front) of the engine up a little to achieve this distance. They cannot jack up the middle or back of the engine because the engine won't tilt. It will just rise up entirely. They also need a block of wood between the jack and the front of the engine while raising the jack.

After the 4.70 inches between the two points is reached, they need to tighten the motor mount (strut) bolts to the required torque.

If they follow the Hayne's procedure, you should be okay.

Make sure they put the "pencil strut" back on the lower mount, also.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 07 Dec 2011, 10:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You may need the upper mount. That one usually goes first. Here is the adjustment procedure.

| Repair Guides | Engine Mechanical Components | Torque Strut | AutoZone.com

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 08 Dec 2011, 01:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

surprisingly, they told me to drive a few more days to see if the vibration is really bothering me and sent me away...

they said that when everything was new, the 4.7 would be right there, but this is an old car now, everything got wear and tear, so they have to play with it...

well.. how bad would the vibration during reverse be? when I drive in revers, the grinding noise is not too loud... but it's there.

thanks!!
Old 08 Dec 2011, 11:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Yuan, your mechanics are fools .....

Get new ones!

Tim
Old 09 Dec 2011, 12:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

they are not fools... maybe they were having a busy day I guess...

anyways, I came back there again, and they agree to follow the manual to do the adjustment. well, then they found the upper mount is done. changed a new one, now I don't have vibrate noise anymore.

thank you guys very much for the help!
Old 09 Dec 2011, 10:14 am
Cool Cruiser

4.7" is simple and the proper adjustment. The reason is to equalize load on the struts. They aren't "motor mounts", but torque struts. As you drive around there is a rotational force exerted on these struts.

It really doesn't have that much impact on idle unless it is broken. The main cause for serious vibration in a motor is either a loose/out of balance harmonic balancer, or major wear inside the motor. They ARE often pointed to as a "source" of vibration because they tend to dampen the motors natural vibration. But if another problem exists than it certainly won't completely solve the problem, and I'm not so sure the adjustment will fix your vibration.

Last edited by bobdole369; 09 Dec 2011 at 10:17 am.