Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rough idle but runs great under acceleration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Dec 2011, 04:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rough idle but runs great under acceleration

hello everyone, this is the first thread i post and i appreciate every bit of help that i can receive. I own a 2003 pt cruiser gt and recently I've been having a very rough idle problem, let me begin with whats been going on with my p... alright i had my pt sitting for over 6 months due to a busted water pump
finally when i got a job at a shop i was able to tow it there, well i got the whole pump situation done, drained the gas tank and pump finally when i ran it, it idled very rough, first i got and O2 sensor high voltage code so i replaced it with a dealer O2 sensor after hearing that aftermarket wont work with chrysler cars, but it idled rough, finally i drove it around for a while finally i got code
P0300 with is random missfire
P0172 witch is system too rich bank 1
so my question is if the fuel pressure regulator can be faulty or would it be an injector problem or what should my next step be???

again i would really appreciate any help and thanks for taking your time to read this thread.
Old 12 Dec 2011, 05:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rough idle but runs great under acceleration

What year is your PT and how many miles on it?
Old 12 Dec 2011, 12:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

its a 2003 and has 152k miles on it
Old 12 Dec 2011, 12:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'll go thru the causes of missfire in order of likelihood:
Plugs and wires - get good non-stock wires and gap plugs at 0.040.
Intake manifild leak -- get spray strat and spray along seasm of intake manifold - if idle smooths out, you have an bad intake gasket.
Injectors - before you go crazy, put a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner in the gas.
Hope the timing belt was done when water pump was replaced.
Since your car sat, injectors may go higher in the list.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Dec 2011, 06:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

alright i repplaced wires put new intake gasket, sprayed on the intake it all came out good, finally put lucas in my pt drove it around for a while, it doesnt idle as rough as it use to but its still rough, so im thinking i gotta head for the injectors now.
would an aftermarket brand work good with the pt's or is dealership recommended??
Old 17 Dec 2011, 06:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If it sat for 6 months, good chance it might be the injectors but I'd try one of the places that do a forced injector cleaner that might break loose any gummed up injectors.