Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Head Done..replaced all exhaust valves and guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Dec 2011, 06:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Head Done..replaced all exhaust valves and guides

Well, I thought I would just be paying for a simple head job, but.....

My machinist spec'd out all the valves and guides. All the intake valves and guides are all good. All the exhaust valves were a different story. All the valves were measured and were beyond saving. All the guides, all out of spec...

So, I had to buy all new exhaust valves (8) and guides (8).....a car with that just eclipsed 100k. Babied to death the entire life..

I do recall when the car hit 25k, there was a odd mild idling issue that the dealer service center said it was fine. I suspect that the valves began their down hill run from that point on. So.....the exhaust valves were toast....why??? I truly believe the valves were defective from the beginning, hence the issue at 25k. The engine was never strained and never seen the temp go beyond 3/4 (which lead the the head removal).

We've had this PT since 2005. This car was my wife's "get around" car and had become my main commuter for the past year. I was planning to hand it to my daughter, but I think this long road will come to an end within the next few months. I've been driving my SRT8 Magnum and our Land Rover Discovery for temporary commuting, but will now need to pull out the 944 from her long sleep. She will need to be fully serviced, sooner that I planned.......before the long road ahead of her. This issue really threw me a curve ball. So, I guess my daughter will get something nice....going to save up the pennies to buy her the Fiat (non Chrysler) 500 or the Toyota IQ this summer.

Sorry guys and gals for the rant....just really disappointed right now....

2005 Touring Black - Automagic....California Smog Legal

H&R Cup Kit | TSW Sakata 18x8 35ET | Nankang NS-II 235/40/18 | SPC front alignment cam - rear shim | Master Pro Rotors | Master Pro Ceramic F/R pads | Rebuilt Cylinder Head - Safety Valves and Guides | Felpro Head Gasket and upper rebuild kit | Fail-safe 195 degree thermostat | Mopar Waterpump...lol | 3rd radiator fan motor | Gates timing belt kit | WIX filters (oil, transmission) | Mobile 1 5w30 | Mopar ATF4 | Redline Water Wetter | K&N Drop-In | 4th Drive side Axle | Energy Suspension Torque Mounts | 3rd set of Torque Mounts...
Old 13 Dec 2011, 09:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Head Done..replaced all exhaust valves and guides

Relaxed...I can get back to the subject at hand...

In discussion with the machinist, the stock OEM exhaust valves from factory, they are too thin and will easily burn out in time. So, I opted for upgraded (thicker) valves to combat any possibility of a future issue. The new owner will definitely benefit from this.

Stock:

Upgraded installed:

H&R Cup Kit | TSW Sakata 18x8 35ET | Nankang NS-II 235/40/18 | SPC front alignment cam - rear shim | Master Pro Rotors | Master Pro Ceramic F/R pads | Rebuilt Cylinder Head - Safety Valves and Guides | Felpro Head Gasket and upper rebuild kit | Fail-safe 195 degree thermostat | Mopar Waterpump...lol | 3rd radiator fan motor | Gates timing belt kit | WIX filters (oil, transmission) | Mobile 1 5w30 | Mopar ATF4 | Redline Water Wetter | K&N Drop-In | 4th Drive side Axle | Energy Suspension Torque Mounts | 3rd set of Torque Mounts...
Old 15 Dec 2011, 01:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Theres been multiple posts of burnt exhaust valves on the '01 and up head.
'95-'00 where larger, and of the thousands of Neons I've not hear of a burnt one.
Remarkable considering what us knuckleheads to them ...

Chrysler also went to 3-groove keepers from single groove in '01-
3-groove allows valve to rotate (more).

IDK why guides would wear, wasn't an issue on the older head and doubt that was changed.

Could you explain where you sourced the HD exhaust valves?
Did machinist replace guides, install Bronzewalls, or knurl?
Old 16 Dec 2011, 05:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
IDK why guides would wear, wasn't an issue on the older head and doubt that was changed.

Could you explain where you sourced the HD exhaust valves?
Did machinist replace guides, install Bronzewalls, or knurl?
I know right...when I was told that the guides were out of spec...I said WHAT?!?!?

The guides and the valves were from Safety. All guides were replaced, no bronzewall or knurling, didn't want a quick fix...just a proper one.

When I slide the value into the original guide, there seems to be too way much play. I could measure them, but my brother in-law borrowed my caliper.

Old 16 Dec 2011, 05:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Oh, in regards to the 3-groove keepers....I think that is the issue. The valve are cut on the edge where the valve becomes brittle and starts to burn off. I am surprised that more of the are not failing....or are they....

Old 14 Jul 2013, 03:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

just to bump - we got bit with a burnt valve. 2007 NA with 85k mi ... owned from new, oil every 3k.

changed out the plugs cause it was idling kinda choppy and gas mileage stunk and a week later, flashing CEL p0301 - #1 misfire. troubleshoot it down to bad exhaust valve today.

we're getting out while the getting is good and hitting the dealerships Mon while it still runs.
Old 14 Jul 2013, 07:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterrichie View Post
just to bump - we got bit with a burnt valve. 2007 NA with 85k mi ... owned from new, oil every 3k.

changed out the plugs cause it was idling kinda choppy and gas mileage stunk and a week later, flashing CEL p0301 - #1 misfire. troubleshoot it down to bad exhaust valve today.

we're getting out while the getting is good and hitting the dealerships Mon while it still runs.
Had to dig for that one.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Jul 2013, 05:52 am
Cool Cruiser

I was told that it is a common problem with this engine. The valve seats recede in the head slightly then they don't seal any more.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 11:05 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lots of reports here about burnt exhaust valves.

Again, they went to a smaller exhaust valve in '01 (Model Year) with three-groove keepers.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 04:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2fish View Post
I was told that it is a common problem with this engine. The valve seats recede in the head slightly then they don't seal any more.
The seats in the head that I have seen (100k+) show no signs if receding into the head. What I've seen have been some carbon pitting the valve itself. Suppose on low mileage cars were not doing nothing but short trips all it's life could make this worse and eventuality burning a valve. Defiantly not one of the top problems with these motors. Got one with 174k, heads never been off. Runs great. Confirmed with the owner who did his own work.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com