PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rad fan not coming on...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Dec 2011, 04:49 am
Young Cruiser

Default Rad fan not coming on...

Hi all,

I've tried to search all threads for an answer, and while I've found a few helpful tips, I'm not quite there yet. As always, thanks in advance for any help offered.

I noticed after changing my spark plugs that the temp gauge was creeping up in stop and go traffic. It always used to stick a hair under 50%, but in traffic was hitting about 70%. I assumed I knocked something, but after triple checking, all looks normal. I've checked the fan fuses (fine), and checked for fault codes (none).

After getting the temp up, I popped the hood and the rad fan wasn't on at all. I played around with the interior fan control knob and as soon as I turned it on, the fan would turn on and alternate between low and high speed, as it should. But turn the fan off, and it would go off completely. That makes me think it might be the Temp sensor, but if it was a bad sensor, wouldn't it throw up codes?

P0115 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit
P0116 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Performance
P0117 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit Low Voltage
P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit High Voltage

I'd like to see if I can diagnose the problem before replacing things. My question is, if it's not the sensor (no fault codes), or the fan motor itself (low and high still working) does that just leave the PCM?

Fixed: Cloudy headlights, Rear Defogger, Rear Wiper Motor, Multifunction Switch, Clunking noise up front......
BUT-Odometer not recording every mile-Turn signal warning chime always chimes-Temperature light always on...
...Still love the damn thing
Old 13 Dec 2011, 07:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rad fan not coming on...

I've been trying to research another way out of your problem other than the PCM but I can't. Doesn't mean there isn't, just means I can't think of any.

The only other things you haven't mentioned are the relays but when you said the fan comes on high and low by switching on the controls, that says they are working.

Yes, you should get a code signaling the temperature control isn't working but that's still a possibility and a cheap alternative to replacing the PCM.

Just in case the PCM does have a "glitch" (American slang for "senior moment"). Take off the negative battery for 10 minutes. Step on the brake pedal to get rid of any residual buildup and put it all back together. That's like rebooting your computer at home. It sometimes fixes all kinds of problems.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 03:46 am
Young Cruiser

Yeah, I think I'm at the end of my DIY pier. Just bought one of those diagnostic tools off of ebay to see if that gives me any more info, but after that, I'm biting the bullet and off to a dealer for help.

Fixed: Cloudy headlights, Rear Defogger, Rear Wiper Motor, Multifunction Switch, Clunking noise up front......
BUT-Odometer not recording every mile-Turn signal warning chime always chimes-Temperature light always on...
Old 28 Mar 2012, 06:24 am
Young Cruiser

I finally got around to checking it myself. I may have been wrong when I though both speeds of the fan were working when turning on the defroster or AC. I think it's just turning itself on, then off after a bit. I've been doing this when I need to, which is surprisingly very little. Guess I don't spend a lot of time in traffic.

Thanks to this forum, I'm pretty sure it's the fan motor that needs replacing, but just want to double check what people think.

I undid the fan connection and did the fan motor test (thanks to this forum - again) and carefully ran wires to the 3 pin male connector of the fan motor to a battery. The pin that connects to the yellow wire in the female side of the plug (fast speed?) spun just fine when touched, but the green side (low speed) did nothing.

My first question is: Am I next in a long line of PT owners that has to replace my fan because low speed no longer works? And second - Just out of curiosity, can the motor be fixed?

Thanks

Old 28 Mar 2012, 07:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Over on this side if the pond, you can buy just the motor at some stores but it's just the same amount of work because the whole assembly has to come out to change the motor. Also, yes, motor itself can be rebuilt if your handy and can get hold of the brushes inside the motor that have burnt out. There are one or two threads somewhere in this forum that show you in detail (with pictures) how exactly to rebuild the motor.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 08:41 am
Young Cruiser

Well, the 'Go To' shop for me over here in the UK is www.ptcompany.co.uk. They have just about everything PT you could want, and also very helpful. I've just bought the motor, as it's almost double the price for the whole assembly, and will be changing it as soon as I can.

Old 28 Mar 2012, 09:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Since you already bought It, keep old one and take it apart. See if you can find the thread I was talking about and maybe you can rebuild your old one and sell it to someone to recoup the money you spent.
Old 01 May 2012, 02:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had the same problem with my 02 so I put new fan motor in and the problem came back within a week. I found the plug on the harness side was shorting across the pins. 3 wire butt connectors later no more problem.
Old 01 May 2012, 02:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks, but I replaced the fan with a new one and it's all working fine now. My guess is that the main problem lies with the fact the low speed fan always comes on as soon as the engine reaches operating temperature. This means it's not surprising the low speed fan wears out sooner than you think. Maybe they shoved just a little too much under the hood and it heats up too much. But, as long as the fan works, no problems.