Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New timing belt sliding off pulley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2011, 04:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New timing belt sliding off pulley

So....this is PT #4 for me (LOVE EM). Ordered the car special in 2005 and have been its only driver since 2 miles on the odo. Impeccable care has been taken including all service intervals and normal wear and tear. Had to drop a new clutch in at 50k and am now at 70k.

While riding down the highway on Friday of last week the car went dead and I pressed the clutch and pulled over immediately. Wouldn't start so I had it towed home (I own a wrecker company thankfully lol!).

I read a few things and checked out the cam sprockets through the hole on the timing cover to see that when turned over, they didn't spin. Timing belt is off.

Pulled it in the shop and started tearing it down only to discover that Chrysler design gurus should all be shot. Immediately. WOW what a hassle!

Bought timing belt, water pump, timing idler and tensioner. Removed old stuff (belt lost teeth in two spots) and started replacing the components as the shop manual instructs. Timing lined up right and so forth but here's the problem.

When we assembled the timing configuration and rotated the motor 2 full rotations to test if the timing marks were right (they are) the belt is working it's way of the pulleys toward the outside of the engine. It's most noticeable around the tensioner pulley. Being pretty sure about the components being installed properly, has anyone heard of anything like this happening? I've read a few posts about this but non of them had a solution. The crankshaft balancer was removed with the proper tools and there is no play in it.

This is really tearing at me because it really shouldn't be doing this. Tensioner is lined up with the spring tang (GREAT NAME) as it should be and is shown in the illustration.

End of my rope is an understatement....any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 15 Dec 2011, 12:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: New timing belt sliding off pulley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepoJankins View Post
Pulled it in the shop and started tearing it down only to discover that Chrysler design gurus should all be shot. Immediately. WOW what a hassle!
LOL.

I felt the same way!

There one or two other recent threads with same issue, look down formu a bit, If I come across it I'll post a link.