Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gas gauge reads empty when full?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2011, 06:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT
Default Gas gauge reads empty when full?

Filled up my gas tank last Friday, and did some running around since then. Left for the store a while ago, with half a tank of gas. When I got back to my car and started it up, it chimed and the gas light lit up. It reads just above the red line on the gas gauge. The gas cap didn't feel quite right, and I was concerned that someone had tried to siphon gas at the store. I went to fill it up, and it only took about 8 gallons of gas.
So, two questions: isn't there a metal screen right inside the fill tube? And if it's the sending unit gone bad, I know I'll have to drop the [full !@!#%!] tank, but is the sending unit part of the fuel pump, or seperate and just attached to it?
Old 14 Dec 2011, 06:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Gas gauge reads empty when full?

Just a quick add, the gauge goes up from below empty to that point on the gauge at startup, just no higher.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 06:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Do the gauge trick to see if it's a bad gauge. Push in the reset button while turning the key on (don't start the engine). As soon as the numbers on the dial where the mileage is starts to go 00000000 11111111 22222222 and so on, release the reset button. Watch all the numbers and then each gauge does a dance from empty to 1/4 to half to 3/4 to full then on to the next gauge. See if the gas gauge does all that.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 07:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Looks like that test went fine. Oddly, now my gas gauge is readin just over half a tank. Still wrong, as I'm 100% certain it's about as full as it can be. Maybe I'll check it in the morning. Could resetting it by disconnecting the battery make a difference?
Old 14 Dec 2011, 07:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It' can't hurt. Don't forget to step on the brake pedal when the battery is disconnected to get rid of any residual charge.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 12:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

There's a sender on the fuel pump module, looked at Rockauto, don't see they sell it separately.

I'd sell these for Neons somewhat frequently; I don't know they're the same part.

Check the parts list; Chrysler did list it as a separate part (From the fuel pump module) for the Neon at one time.

I was able to clean them, bend spring in and get them to work, but ...
Old 15 Dec 2011, 12:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

As of this morning, it was working fine. Hoping it was a cold weather bug, my PT seems to be prone to them. Have errands to run today, guess I will find out. Guess I can't blame her, I don't like running around in the cold either!