PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05 PT just stopped....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Dec 2011, 09:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question 05 PT just stopped....

Hello everyone.
I new to this so please be patient with me.

I was driving in heavy traffice last night. We were traveling around 5 mph for over an hour. The engine on the car stopped. I put it in park, waited about a min and it started back up. Drove another couple of minutes and it stopped again. It wont turn over nor can you hear anything when you try and turn it over. All the lights are on so i dont think its the alternator. So what might it be? Could the starter relay / wires / switch make the engine go dead while its moving?
Also, the oil light had been coming on and off for awhile. The leval was always fine and the oil was just changed last week. Someone had said to change the oil pressure sensor. Could this be the reason?

05 PT
Turbo Touring

Also, Where is the starter located? The husband wants to try the old trick of hitting it with a hammer

Last edited by brecie; 18 Dec 2011 at 10:02 am.
Old 18 Dec 2011, 10:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 05 PT just stopped....

Most will say that the oil pressure sensor has nothing to do with the starting of the engine BUT, I've heard stories on this forum AND as a hands-on experience; I was patrolling with the Sheriff's Department in my local town. A red 2003-2004 PT Cruiser was stopped at a light and not going anywhere. I put on my overheads and had everyone go around. I talked to the two older women and they said it just stopped and wouldn't start. They said the oil light was on. Couldn't really do anything so had them towed to my local Chrysler dealer. Told the service manager what happened and left.

Came back later and the PT had gone. Talked to the service manager and he said the mechanic couldn't find anything wrong but they did change the oil sending sensor. The car started and off she went.

You take it from there. The sensor SHOULDN'T have anything to do with the engine starting, but changing it helped more than one person.

You added a question at the end....the starter is located in front (as your standing at the nose of the car). Look down between the radiator and engine and it's about 18 inches down. A little hard to swing a hammer at it.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 18 Dec 2011 at 10:11 am.
Old 19 Dec 2011, 04:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 05 PT just stopped....

Hi. I just had this problem with my 2005. Is your red dash light on? Mine was. So it was either the PCM, Skim module or Dash board. I replaced the PCM, same issue. Long story short bought another dash cluster on ebay for $14. And it works. For some reason the Dash was tying up the bus so the SKIM/SKIS cannot talk to the rest of the car.