PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
27.6 mpg...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Dec 2011, 09:53 am
Regular Cruiser

Default 27.6 mpg...?

Aloha Forum.

My 06' Cruiser is about to reach the 157k mark, and in the last couple of weeks I've noticed that the digital readout of my mpg has been fluctuating between 26.5 and 27.6.

It's never been close to showing that in the last three years I've owned it, usually around 24.5. Would anyone have any reasons why it would show this? I'd like to think I'm actually getting that kind of mileage, but I know I'm not.

Side note: No engine mods, regular tune-ups, nothing special.

Thanks.

2006 - Limited - Green Hornet Edition - Konig - RVinyl - Pioneer
Old 20 Dec 2011, 05:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 27.6 mpg...?

I track my mileage on 06 base 2.4 auto on spread sheet every time I fill and avg 25.7 mpg. This is calculated. That is over 14K Miles. Very consistent.

Do you reset the computer? Maybe someone put some air in your tires when you had recent service or maybe your gas you are buying doesnt have 10% ethanol? That will add about 2 mpg.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 20 Dec 2011, 05:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good questions from VNT. I actually reset my puter once in a while just to keep it cleaned out. Mainly, if my driving style changes, I reset it. For instance, I get better mileage during the summer than during the school year. Why? Because in the summer I'm not sitting in line waiting for my daughter.

Now my puter is quite close to accurate, but still not accurate enough for me. What I would suggest, and there are other members out there using this, is to sign up for Fuelly, and track your mileage that way. They've improved their tracking methods now to the point that I'm going back to them after not using them for two years. Before it was all manual input, now it's easy as pie - enter the data while at the pumps via your mobile phone!! They also have a mobile app site, m.fuelly.com to make it even easier.

So, go give them a try, they'll help you to better calculate your mileage. What I like about them is they track mileage trends, they can show you how weather affects your mileage, and you can estimate the cost on vacation trips taken by car. Those estimates are so darned close to reality!

Anyway, Fuelly, to me, is one of the best sites out there for tracking fuel mileage.

Old 20 Dec 2011, 07:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I guess at 157k it's finally broken in. I've gotten up to 26mpg since I've been tracking w/ Fuelly. I get reimbursed per mile from my employer and the site helps me easily calculate my cost per mile. I'm almost at 108k and she's running as good or better than new.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.

Last edited by compdr59; 20 Dec 2011 at 07:09 pm.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 07:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdr59 View Post
I guess at 157k it's finally broken in. I've gotten up to 26mpg since I've been tracking w/ Fuelly. I get reimbursed per mile from my employer and the site helps me easily calculate my cost per mile. I'm almost at 108k and she's running as good or better than new.
Good idea, didn't even think about that, I get reimbursed for my mileage too.
Old 21 Dec 2011, 09:52 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdr59 View Post
I love the color of your car. Is it a GT? I have a GT and I'm having a hard time getting 22mpg, maybe the new tires will help.
Old 21 Dec 2011, 01:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks.

It's a Touring Turbo Convertible w/ no mods. I just keep it well maintained to drive a lot of miles.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.

Tags
gallon, mileage, miles, mpg, performance