PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

anti-freeze leaking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Dec 2011, 12:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default anti-freeze leaking

Hey how's it going I really like the site so far I've learned so much and I'm still new on here this is my first post but I'm having a problem with my cruiser. It's a 2002 Limited automatic transmission. I haven't been driving my cruiser lately B/c I've been have problems with a few things with my car but the one of the main things has been that my car has been over heating lately and white smoke has been coming from under the hood. I've try a few things to fix the problem since I knew kinda what it was I've replaced the overflow tank, the water pump and even took is back to the dealership and its still leaking. When I fired it up and checked the engine I saw a wet spot and I saw what looked to be a bolt on the ground with a a lot of anti-freeze on the ground can you help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coolent leak .jpg (92.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg coolent leak 2.jpg (97.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0093.jpg (98.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0094.jpg (91.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Simba522; 20 Dec 2011 at 12:48 pm.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 02:11 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: anti-freeze leaking

That looks like the nut that holds the AC hose bracket.... That bracket is bolted on top of the coolant fill / thermostat housing , and the thermostat is right under there....So if that fell of, that means the housing may be loose and leaking coolant...
Old 21 Dec 2011, 01:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok I'm going to the shop in a few days to get it checked out I'll keep you posted on what happens thanks
Old 22 Dec 2011, 02:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Be absolutely certain that the shop uses Chrysler-approved HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) coolant when they do the work. DO NOT let them use Dex-Cool, which looks like orange Kool-Aid. The HOAT will come from either the dealer and will be yellowish in color for cars through about 2003 or lavender/blue for cars newer than that. Zerex also makes an acceptable HOAT type coolant (also known as anti-freeze).

If you use the wrong coolant, especially Dex-Cool, your car's radiator will eventually clog up. The chemistry of Dex-Cool also tends to harden the seals of the water pump and may damage the head gasket. This is bad news, and the HOAT coolant only costs about $8 more per gallon.

Do not let the shop tell you that Dex-Cool is a "universal coolant," or that their additive makes it OK. Neither is true. When I bought my 2001, it needed a new radiator and water pump due to prior Dex-Cool use, and the head gasket may be shot.
Old 22 Dec 2011, 08:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

That's odd about the color: my original Mopar Hoat was orange-red (2003 Limited). The HOAT Mopar replacement coolant (when I changed it) was also orange/red. The premixed Mopar stuff was also orange/red.

Hm?
Old 23 Dec 2011, 06:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
That's odd about the color: my original Mopar Hoat was orange-red (2003 Limited). The HOAT Mopar replacement coolant (when I changed it) was also orange/red. The premixed Mopar stuff was also orange/red.

Hm?
Hm indeed. Now I gotta go out and look. The only one I am sure of is that for the 2007, which is blue/purple maybe magenta. What I was calling yellowish may actually be the orange/red that you describe. I saw it only in the overflow bottle in poor light and it may have been diluted.

Orange/red it is, then. So long as it comes out of a bottle that's marked HOAT, suitable for Chrysler products it will be OK.

And I will now fall into my my very last line of lame excuses. Color blindness runs in my family. It drives my wife nuts when I mis-call a color. That's my (lame) story and I am sticking to it.