Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Broken timing belt/broken valves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Dec 2011, 06:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Broken timing belt/broken valves

Recently my (2003) car's timing belt broke, had it towed to the shop where the mechanic said he'd confirm, and check for additional damage. Called and said it was just the timing belt and gave me an estimate.
Now he's saying the valves are broken/bent and the car won't start. So now we have to pay for labor to take it apart again to fix that.
I've been told (NOT by the mechanic, he doesn't seem to have an answer for why he didn't know this when he checked for additional damage) that this damage occurred when I tried to restart the car after the engine died (because it has an "interference design")
Does anyone know if this information is accurate?
Thanks.

(Just to make it clear I'm upset that he said he would check for additional damage and didn't check for this. It seems to me if he knew it was a possibility-and as a professional mechanic he should have-he should have checked not put everything back together then want to charge me to take it apart again )
Old 23 Dec 2011, 07:24 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Broken timing belt/broken valves

I would take the car to another mechanic.The reason I say that is because the PT has a non-interference engine and it is VERY rare to have valve damage from a broken timing belt.Lots of people have the belt break on their PT's and most of them just change belt,tensioner and waterpump and that's it.
Old 23 Dec 2011, 07:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Assuming you're talking a US 2.4?

It's not an interference design, few people reported that the valves touched each other, but they cannot touch pistons. I don't believe more than a few would bend, in any case.

You'd have zero control over this, whether you tried to restart or not.

He could've pulled cams and done a leakdown, but that would'v cost you, too.

In all likliehood, he'd messed up timing and has to pull it apart again.
It ran OK before belt break?
Old 23 Dec 2011, 07:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

And sorry to post over you, Blue! Was typing reply and getting Ice Cream- hadn't realized you'd posted!
Old 23 Dec 2011, 07:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, SCBluePT.
It dawned on me I could call the Chrysler service dept. (should have taken the car there in the first place I guess) the mechanic I spoke to said it was VERY unlikely that the timing belt breaking would have caused additional damage at the speed I was going* (under 15 mph. I was about halfway down the block from my house) He also said once it was broken trying to restart it would not cause any additional damage.

*He did say if it broke on the freeway it was possible that it could have caused the valve damage, and the mechanic did ask my husband if it happened on the freeway (AFTER he had put the car back together, so if he didn't realize where it happened he should have known to check the valves for damage, in my opinion).

Is it possible the mechanic could have installed the new timing belt incorrectly and caused the damage (that's why my husband didn't want to install it himself. He said it had to be installed very precisely and if it wasn't it would damage the valves as soon as the car was started).

Basically, I'd like to know if it is reasonable to expect that the mechanic should have checked for valve damage, since he said he'd check for additional damage.
Old 23 Dec 2011, 07:49 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

It's possible,and likely, that there may not be any valve damage.The mechanic might not have the timing set right or the timing marks not properly aligned.
Old 23 Dec 2011, 07:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

UptownSport, it's a 2.3, non-turbo automatic transmission. Yes, it ran fine before, but I did forget to mention that the mechanic also called and said the water pump was leaking and should be replaced (I didn't think it was relevent at the time I initially posted, and was trying to keep it short) but, the Chrysler mechanic said a leaking water pump could have caused the timing belt to break. Regardless, of WHY it broke I think he should have known to check the valves for additional damage.
SCBluePT, the mechanic did a compression test (75 lbs/supposed to be 150) which is why he's saying the valves are damaged.

Last edited by DreamCar; 23 Dec 2011 at 07:57 pm.
Old 23 Dec 2011, 08:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The dope should've replaced the waterpump along with the belt!!
What a complete idiot!!

Belt, water pump, idler pulley, tensioner (and pulley) should all be replaced at once.

I'd guess cam timing is off, usually bent valves will yield very, very low compression, and it would only be on one cylinder.

Ask the idiot if it has spark or is throwing codes (for cam out of time)
Old 23 Dec 2011, 09:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We did tell him to go ahead and replace the water pump (he only said it would eventually have to be replaced and then it would cost more because they'd have to take everything apart again, he didn't say anything about it leaking could have caused the timing belt to break, the Chrysler mechanic told me that. So, if we had opted to wait on that it sounds like it could cause the new belt to break) he didn't say anything about the idler pulley, tensioner (and pulley). We'll have to call him tomorrow and ask about that and if it has spark or is throwing codes.
The 75 lb compression was on two cylinders (1 and 4) he didn't test the other two.
We have had this mechanic do repairs in the past and he seemed competent and ethical, now I'm not so sure.
Old 23 Dec 2011, 09:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'd like to apologize for not putting ALL the information in the original post (water pump, etc.) I didn't think it could have been related to the main problem and I was trying to keep the post as short as possible, and not clutter it up .