Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Repairs, Codes, and Budget planning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Dec 2011, 04:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Repairs, Codes, and Budget planning

I know this is probably an intake gasket issue, but I would like to be sure before I put the car in the shop again...

I have a 2004 GT Turbo with 100K miles, Check Engine light came on when the weather got a little cold here last week in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Code came up as P0304 and P0551

Car was Idling like poop, and I needed brakes anyway, so off to the shop it went.

Plugs, Wires, Brakes (front) Rotors (front), Lube/Oil/Filter/fluid top-off (Power steering was a little low), and a new coil because the #4 output was actually low, and all seemed happy again, except for a slight , but noticeable lag (1-2 second) when I start to accelerate from a stop, I feel like I need to give it more gas, then it "wakes up" and I am pulling away a bit faster than I am used to.

Then it got cold here yesterday again, and P0304 came back, with the car idling like poop if I am stopped for more than 10-15 seconds, and the Check Engine light blinks at me. It runs fine once moving, but the stopped idle is very rough. I assume this may just be the intake gasket and will run back to my mechanic to get it checked out.

My couple of questions:

If the the gasket check (starter fluid, brake cleaner or similar around intake near #4, see if idles better) does not show any improvement, what should my next step be? A can of injector cleaner in the tank?

Is there any chance the P0551 was just a matter of slightly low fluid?

Also, since I am just about due for the Water Pump / Timing / Tensioner job anyway, is there anything else I should do while all this wonderful work is going on? I just had the Cam and O2 sensors replaced (Both O2 were flaky)

Best Guess on how much to budget for the overhaul?

I wish everyone a happy ChristmaChanuKwanzakah!

Last edited by Darksideblues42; 24 Dec 2011 at 05:06 am. Reason: Fixed a typo