Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power steering leak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Dec 2011, 12:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Power steering leak

A week ago. everything was fine. no problems. one day my wife said the pt was making strange sounds and PS was going in and out quickly. So i figured low on fluid. Get home. Check it. its about completely empty and absolutely no PS. So i put some in, start it up turn the wheel. and it has some PS but nothing id trust my wife to drive. I turn it off, see if i need to put some more in there, and im talking every bit of fluid i just put in, was laying on the ground... I lift it up, and see that it looks to be coming from a hose.. connected to the radiator? looks like the fitting the hose is clamped to is leaking... bad. pump is dry, reservior is dry for the most part. but its definately coming from the very front middle of the car... havent had this vehicle long.. and its kinda getting on my nerves.. any ideas? is this a simple hose replacement fix? or what. i dont mind driving it with no power steering if i have to for a while but id like to fix it.. thanks guys. this is my first post by the way. ive had this car about 3 weeks and this is the first major problem ive run into. timing and tensioner etc. usual problem parts have been replaced already so i thought id be good to go for a while... appreciate any input.
Old 24 Dec 2011, 12:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Power steering leak

That sounds like a leak at the power steering cooler. Check with a local radiator shop. They may have a fix.
Old 24 Dec 2011, 12:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Power steering leak

Dang. Alright thx
Old 24 Dec 2011, 12:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK, I found it. It's actually coming from a split hose, and shooting across and hitting radiator. The hose is about an inch thick, mesh. Metal ends. Going from rack to up near the passenger side. I can't see the other end.
Old 24 Dec 2011, 01:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That sounds like one of the recalls that the PT had for rubbing power steering lines. The line could rupture and cause a fire. I'd check a dealer to see if that recall was done on your PT and you may get a free fix. Just take you VIN number to the dealer to see if it was taken care of.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Dec 2011, 01:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Called dealer. Recall was pperformed in 2004. Guess I'm paying for this one cuz I don't want to tackle that.