2007 pt cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Dec 2011, 10:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2007 pt cruiser

Hi Everyone,
Bought Dec/07, had to buy new battery Dec/10
because of dead battery. Dealership $261
bushing were under warranty....car wouldn't start..
garage ck it all over and said after i exit the car lights etc
stayed on 10min so they changed to 45 sec.
How long does yours stay on and would that drain battery?
at 10 min over time? The garage charged me $100. I have only 22,000
on it. Can't find info in book. thanks jinky
Old 26 Dec 2011, 11:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 pt cruiser

Mine stay on about 5 mins, but while waiting to see if they will turn off, it feels like 10. ...and NO, that shouldn't drain the battery.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Dec 2011, 12:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

How old was the battery? If it was the original battery, from a 2007 car, it was doomed just due to its age. Depending on where you live, OEM batteries will last from eight years to 12 months. Four or five years seems to be about average for an original battery. Here in the Arizona furnace zone, an OEM battery lasts about 14 months and then just suddenly dies.

Having interior lights stay on for 10 minutes probably didn't help, especially since the car was driven so infrequently and the battery was usually in a state of partial charge as a result.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 05:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I live in Novs Scotia and last year it was really cold when I got a new battery.
I only drive the car about 3 times a week and not to far just to the mall etc.
Maybe I should start it up every day or every other day and let it run for 15 minutes? Would this help the battery? thanks jinky
Old 29 Dec 2011, 06:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Buy a battery float charger. Plug it in (cigarette lighter adapter) and forget it. Keeps a trickle charge on the battery and won't overcharge it. Keeps the battery in top shape and your always ready to go. Have used it for my Corvette for 3 years and never fails to start.

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-D2A-B...1&s=automotive

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 06:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Buy a battery float charger. Plug it in (cigarette lighter adapter) and forget it. Keeps a trickle charge on the battery and won't overcharge it. Keeps the battery in top shape and your always ready to go. Have used it for my Corvette for 3 years and never fails to start.

Amazon.com: Duracell D2A 2 AMP 12V Battery Maintainer / Charger: Automotive
What Crewzin said is the right answer. I use a Battery Tender for my truck, which I have hooked up to the battery. I unplug it when I drive the truck. Starting and running your car for 15 minutes now and then won't do the battery that much good and is bad for the car. It won't warm up all the car's component's enough to get rid of moisture and condensation. Your trips to the mall are better, with the float charger to keep the battery fresh.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 06:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

i turned off that feature through the cluster display
Old 30 Dec 2011, 04:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi,
I don't know what feature you mean?
Called the garage and they said I could get the battery thing at Walmart here in Canada. I was talking to the parts dept at Chrysler and he said also the voltage from the alternator should be checked. Also the tension on the belt ( which belt) and low battery test on battery. They tested to see if anything was draining the battery. He said the labour and work should be covered under warranty $100 I paid Dec 13th to check out why the battery went down and I needed a boost. Probably not,
I have extra warranty which I hope would cover an alternator if needed. I still can't believe I only have 21,000km or around 12,000 miles.
So far had to put pin and something the first month so they put new side on.
Also just put new bushings on....covered.
My husband passed away this year so I am trying all this myself. Any help would be appreciated. jinky
Old 30 Dec 2011, 04:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Jinky, very sorry to hear about the passing of your loved one. We try to be here to help as often as possible.

The guys are mentioning battery tenders. They are small and fairly inexpensive, depending on what you are thinking of spending. I think mine was $65. It's bolted in the engine compartment and attached to the battery. I made a small extension cable to the grill and clipped it there so I can plug it in whenever my car sits for more than a couple of days.

My interior light stays on for 5 mins also. You can control the duration via the dash panel. There is a section called 'Personal Settings' that allows you to control that. You have to turn the key on but don't need to start the car. I'm not sure which button it is on your dash that controls the settings as mine is a newer version. On mine, it's the one on the left, you push it to get to the setting, then hold it in to change the settings. Been a while, I think that's what you do.

Good luck, wish I was close enough to help out, but will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 30 Dec 2011, 04:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinky View Post
Hi,
I don't know what feature you mean?
Called the garage and they said I could get the battery thing at Walmart here in Canada. I was talking to the parts dept at Chrysler and he said also the voltage from the alternator should be checked. Also the tension on the belt ( which belt) and low battery test on battery. They tested to see if anything was draining the battery. He said the labour and work should be covered under warranty $100 I paid Dec 13th to check out why the battery went down and I needed a boost. Probably not,
I have extra warranty which I hope would cover an alternator if needed. I still can't believe I only have 21,000km or around 12,000 miles.
So far had to put pin and something the first month so they put new side on.
Also just put new bushings on....covered.
My husband passed away this year so I am trying all this myself. Any help would be appreciated. jinky
i'm sorry to hear about your husband, we're always here to help. but the red circle in the pic is the button you would push to get to your personal settings. once there you hold down the button till it gives you options.