Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Broken mount in operation caused me some Christmas joy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Dec 2011, 08:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Broken mount in operation caused me some Christmas joy

45mph - big star bolt in the center mount gave way suddenly. This caused the following:

1. Shredded passenger side inner CV boot AND seal. The crank made contact with it I'm guessing - spewing its special grease all over that side of the motor, enough to make me think there was an oil leak for a while.

2. Both torque struts destroyed. They are definitely not enough to hold the motor by themselves.

3. power steering belt shredded - This occurred when the crank hit the cv boot.

So several days later I can now replace the halfshaft on the passenger side - not too difficult, just pull the pinch bolt, tierod ends, sway bar, brakes and mount, pry down the LCA, get the 32MM axle nut off, pull straight out and the axle stub comes right out. the tripod mount on the other hand needed some encouragement in the form of a big hunk of iron (actuall part of a massive jackstand that I no longer use), tap that a few times and she'll pop right out. Installation of the halfshaft is easier, just push in with all your might and it'll pop right in there, support it the whole time, and get it back through the steering knuckle making sure it doesn't get any dirt/grease/grime in it. Torque the 32mm nut to something like 135lbs and reassemble the suspension.

The hardest part of the whole repair, which included removing that giant iron bracket the big star bolt goes into was getting that bracket out. You can do it, it just sucks and you have to wiggle it exactly right. I could never tell someone how. I dropped the exhaust and the tranny mount bolts to assist moving around the motor.

I almost want to say I could to a timing belt in under 8 hours now

Oh and I'm probably gonna have to do it again soon - I did NOT like the way the "new" star bolt (from junkyard) went in. I didn't strip it, but you know how sometimes you can just feel that a bolt is gonna give you trouble?

PS - make sure you look at your old bracket before you spend 2 hours pulling one at the junkyard. Mine was from an NA 2001 - doesn't fit my 2004 diet turbo - the power steering bracket is different.
Old 27 Dec 2011, 08:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Broken mount in operation caused me some Christmas joy

I have broken the torx bolt the goes thru the motor mount twice now I found the easyest was to remove the broken part from the motor is.

1. remove front right tire
2 put jack under motor and jack up till you can see the broken part thru the accesse hole in the wheel well the one the has the plasic cap on it. line it up till its perfectly centered
3 find A drill bit I think it was a 1/2 in. the fits in the hole in the mount loosely. and drill A little dimple into the broken end. this give you the center of the bolt for drilling it out.
4 go back with a 1/4in drill bit and drill 3/4 in. in to the bolt.
5 I used a long 1/4 in alan wrench and cut the short side off. and pounded it into the broken bolt.
6 put a 1/4 in socket onto the alen wrench and remove the bolt.

this has worked perfectly both times and the last time I replace the stock bolt with a grade 12.8 bolt from fastenal. and no problens since.
Old 27 Dec 2011, 08:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

oops I post that and I thought you had a broken bolt still in there My bad
Old 27 Dec 2011, 08:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayo View Post
oops I post that and I thought you had a broken bolt still in there My bad
Still, the idea of a non-torx bolt replacement is worth suggesting.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 04:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

the bolt I used Is a allen head instead of the torx so it still fits into the recess with no prob. a hex head doesnt work since its recessed.