PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 NA with 85k miles. Oil coming from everywhere!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Dec 2011, 05:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 NA with 85k miles. Oil coming from everywhere!

I bought an 05 NA PT cruiser with about 70k on it earlier this year. The car has been fine with exception of the rough idle I have read so much about.

Well, today I take it to have the oil changed and the tech comes back to tell me that they wont touch the car. He invited me out to take a look and it looks like the front and rear seal is leaking, as well as the pan and also a little fresh oil on the plug itself. He said because of the oil on the plug that it was a liability issue to change it. I changed the oil myself the last time and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary and the car has never leaked oil onto the ground while parked. It was also only a quart low.

Where to start? The car runs fine and has no warning lights showing.

In mint shape the car is worth probably $4400 wholesale, not sure I can take a huge hit if it is some or all of the seals.

Can anyone shed some light or experience on this matter? Is there a leaking part that could possibly have dripped to cover all of the affected areas?

Thanks a million guys.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 06:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 NA with 85k miles. Oil coming from everywhere!

Sounds like you bought someone else's trouble. Not sure what he meant by "front and real seal's leaking" but maybe you have a bad valve cover gasket which is leaking everywhere which means whoever had the car probably had some engine work done and slapped it back together to sell it.

You also said "only a quart low". The PT should be low at all. Mine and lots of others never need oil between changes and I'm talking 5,000 miles.

I take it you took it to some 5-minute oil change places. Look or ask around for a trusted mechanic and have the car diagnosed to find out what's wrong.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Dec 2011, 02:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Clean up the engine and look for where the oil is coming out. And Crewzin got one of the PT's that didn't use oil. Mine certainly did (a quart every thousand miles). I changed the PCV valve and now I don't lose the oil anywhere near that rate.

I'd clean up the motor real good and have a peek at what's what before selling the car, though.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 31 Dec 2011, 04:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Just a random guess; oil pressure sending unit leaking