PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Driver side CV Joint difficulty removing....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jan 2012, 12:18 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Driver side CV Joint difficulty removing....

I replaced the the CV two years ago with a new aftermarket unit. It started to click at the same time the head gasket went...

So today, I had a chance to remove it. I was thinking, it would only take 30 minutes....but....the shaft wouldn't release from the transmission. The axle did not have that great of a edge to pop it out. I can move it a few mm's, so I know it isn't locked in there. I think the spring is really tough to compress.

Anyone have any other tricks? I'm about to take it into the shop.....there must be a tool for this job.....

2005 Touring Black - Automagic....California Smog Legal

H&R Cup Kit | TSW Sakata 18x8 35ET | Nankang NS-II 235/40/18 | SPC front alignment cam - rear shim | Master Pro Rotors | Master Pro Ceramic F/R pads | Rebuilt Cylinder Head - Safety Valves and Guides | Felpro Head Gasket and upper rebuild kit | Fail-safe 195 degree thermostat | Mopar Waterpump...lol | 3rd radiator fan motor | Gates timing belt kit | WIX filters (oil, transmission) | Mobile 1 5w30 | Mopar ATF4 | Redline Water Wetter | K&N Drop-In | 4th Drive side Axle | Energy Suspension Torque Mounts | 3rd set of Torque Mounts...
Old 04 Jan 2012, 12:44 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Driver side CV Joint difficulty removing....

I just use a pry bar to remove it and pry it by the tranny.
Old 04 Jan 2012, 01:03 am
Regular Cruiser

I'm going to try it again tomorrow.

I think I was just too tired to really deal with it. I just finished up the head and thought that it would be a good time to do it....also....I don't think I was hitting the screwdriver hard enough.

Maybe I'm just spoiled on how easy the Honda ones just pop right out....

H&R Cup Kit | TSW Sakata 18x8 35ET | Nankang NS-II 235/40/18 | SPC front alignment cam - rear shim | Master Pro Rotors | Master Pro Ceramic F/R pads | Rebuilt Cylinder Head - Safety Valves and Guides | Felpro Head Gasket and upper rebuild kit | Fail-safe 195 degree thermostat | Mopar Waterpump...lol | 3rd radiator fan motor | Gates timing belt kit | WIX filters (oil, transmission) | Mobile 1 5w30 | Mopar ATF4 | Redline Water Wetter | K&N Drop-In | 4th Drive side Axle | Energy Suspension Torque Mounts | 3rd set of Torque Mounts...
Old 04 Jan 2012, 08:49 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Last time I did it I used two pry bars like these at the same time, one on each side of the axle housing and came right out.

Pry Bar Set - 4 Piece
Old 04 Jan 2012, 02:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

As a car stripper, I use a prybar as Xtrm suggested.

I use one violent pry and it pops out. Brute strength applied smoothly dosen't work on some unless you're Hercules.

If you ever install a OBX differential in your t-350 5 spd, absolutely, positively remove the axle clips, the differential has no bevel and the axles will be in for life
Old 05 Jan 2012, 01:01 am
Regular Cruiser

Well, I got it out.

Used a chisel to create a gouge on the CV housing and to hammer it out. It eventually popped out. The new one, it doesn't have a ridge for later removal....

Now I know how to remove it in the future.....it that day comes....