Advertisements
Coolant Leaking near Tranny

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jan 2012, 11:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Coolant Leaking near Tranny

I need help like a week ago!

Our PT is leaking coolant pretty bad. Its coming out and dripping from the edge of the tranny on the passanger side. From searching around on this site, it sounds like some type of hose is leaking. How on earth would I begin to get to this hose?

Old 04 Jan 2012, 11:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Coolant Leaking near Tranny

sorry for the huge picture, im using my wife's mac and have no clue how to work it lol
Old 04 Jan 2012, 11:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

How do you know it's a hose leaking? could be the edge of the radiator. Could be the area around the thermostat. Did you look at the thermostat housing at the top where the radiator cap is and look down with a flashlight to see if you can see any coolant ? It could be from the water pump. There's a black plastic cover under the car that covers that whole area of the passenger side under the water pump. Did you take that off to get a closer look of the side of the tranny to see if you can spot the leak?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 04 Jan 2012, 12:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was just saying I had read that in a similar thread. If its the radiator leaking, why wouldnt the leak be closer to the front? Im going to take that cover off now. I was about to before I posted this but Im on kid duty this morning and got side tracked practicing math

Thanks for your reply, will update in a few
Old 04 Jan 2012, 12:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The radiator can start a leak almost anywhere. On the side seams, the core (if it gets hit by a rock) or the hose connections. While you drive the air takes the leak and makes it go to other places and finally down to the ground which makes you think the leak is somewhere where it's not. Your picture was too bag and fuzzy to actually tell that there was a leak. You already said why it's so big but if it's hosted on a decent website, like Photobucket, you should be able to downsize it on there.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 04 Jan 2012, 12:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You can get a radiator pressure tester for $75-$100:

Or have a shop pressurize the system, it should hold 20lbs.
In your case, it will drop rapidly, leaks will be apparent.

As Crewzin said, road draft will blow Water pump / radiator leaks all over.

There's two hard line that go from engine front to heater core, then rubber lines to core.

Whatever you do, DON'T break the nipples off that heater core!!!!!
You'd rather rebuild engine and transmission on your kitchen table than swap out a core
Old 04 Jan 2012, 12:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Heres some new pics.

This was right after I filled radiator back up. I dont see any leak near the cap area
Old 04 Jan 2012, 12:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Old 04 Jan 2012, 01:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Taking a guess, it looks like the water pump. Certainly in the right area. Not good if it is. Same amount of labor involved to change the timing belt, 5 to 7 hours.

Old 04 Jan 2012, 01:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hmmm. Would it be ok to drive about 3 miles up the road to work and back until the weekend as long as I keep the fluid filled up? Unless someone hands us a sack of money it looks like me and a few guys from work will be fixing this.