Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
over heating is KILLING ME

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jan 2012, 09:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default over heating is KILLING ME

I have been having problems with my 2004 Cruiser for a couple of years now. It overheats after about 20 miles. In order to make it the rest of the way to work I have to blast the heater. If I catch a red light before I get there, the temp. gauge starts climbing. As soon as I start moving the gauge goes down. When I put the heater on I have to switch it off and on a few times to get the gauge to come down. Something is definitely wrong if I have to run the heater all the time to keep it normal. I replaced the water pump twice, timing belt, radiator, and cap, and this last time the guy put some kind of sealer for the head
and it worked for a while but back to where I was again. I'm running out of money trying to fix this piece of poop. I can't sell it like this and I have to get to work. Any sure fixes or should I just throw it off a cliff? Thanks, Dee Dee
Old 05 Jan 2012, 10:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: over heating is KILLING ME

Has your radiator fan been tested? You have the classic symptoms of the fan being burnt out but, after saying that, if the sealer worked for awhile, then you have to have the tests done to find out if the head gasket is cracked. Any competent mechanic should be able to perform those tests for you.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Jan 2012, 03:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm taking in tonight to the same mechanic that put the radiator in and when
I told him that something is bubbling under the hood and he said it's a blown head gasket. Isn't it air in the system? I don't trust any of these damn mechanics anymore. I really don't know what to do. It seems like he did some
kind of test checking for amount of some kind of chemical in the compression thing. It didn't indicate a blown head gasket at that time and he probably forgot he told me that. That is when he put the sealer stuff in. Is there a way to check the fan? I hear a fan come on when I turn the heater on. Thanks for your help
Old 09 Jan 2012, 03:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Your symptoms are the same as mine. My head gasket was blown. The gasket can go in such a way that the usual tell-tales don't show up. You can get holes/leaks in the gasket the diameter of a piece of fuse wire, as I did, and it was enough to cause gasses in the coolant, with all the subsequent problems.
Old 09 Jan 2012, 03:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

Have you looked at the oil color? If your head is cracked/leaking into the cylinders than you would show signs of a chocolate milk looking oil.... take the dipstick out of the eng and look at the oil.

Is it black?

If it's light brownish....You have a head gasket that has leaked between the cylinders causing coolant to get into the oil...

SOLD-----K&N FIPK CAI, MSD wires, NGK plugs
03 Dream Cruiser series 2 #1489,5sp
k&N FIPK CAI, MSD 8MM wires, NGK iridium plugs, oil catch can, AGP wastegate, Mopar BOV,Mopar Boost Gauge,Stage 1 injectors,DSP Sport tuner,VSR Anima 18" wheels, Kelly 225-40-18 tires, 3" cat delete downpipe, APS SS dual exhaust.

Now owner of a black CSRT stage 1.
Old 09 Jan 2012, 05:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Theres a chemical test for combustion gasses in coolant-

Sounds like you should listen to all of the above, Crewzin believes our fans are inoperative, and subsequently head gasket finally failed.

If you like to suffer you CAN DIY, otherwise it's expensive.
Old 09 Jan 2012, 06:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

oil is just as dark as always. Nothing dripping, nothing smoking, not using alot of coolant or oil. If I take it in tonight do I tell him to get the air out of the system? Will that stop the bubbling in the overflow bottle?
Old 09 Jan 2012, 07:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee2 View Post
Will that stop the bubbling in the overflow bottle?

It's not a sure thing but I'll try and explain part of it the way I understand it. Water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit. A 50/50 mix ( coolant/water) raises the boiling point to about 223. Having a closed/air less cooling system takes it to about 260.

The coolant can easily reach 230/240 in a hot car but everything being good, there's no problem. Add air to the system and the boiling point drops and the coolant bubbles, usually in the overflow tank, probably because it's a high point in the system plus it can boil at the top of the radiator.

Water loss through any one of a few different spots can lower that boiling point because it lets air into the system. A cracked head gasket leaks coolant into the combustion chamber where it's burned. A small crack will take awhile to show the tel-tale signs but will eventually cloud up the oil plus drop the coolant level and let air into the system

The fan also plays a big part in keeping everything cool, especially when your not moving. The computer actually shuts the fan off when your moving around 35mph because there's enough air coming through the front end to keep everything cool. When you slow down, less air, fan cools it down. If the fan brushes burn out (pretty common on a PT), the fan stops turning and the coolant temperature raises above that 260 degrees and boils away, again, in the overflow tank which is what your probably hearing.

My advice, like some others, is get a test done to see if there's any gases in the coolant, than go from there.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Jan 2012, 09:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Make sure the radiator cap is good too.That's a problem I had with my 07.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 11:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i think my advice is to find a diffrent mech---sounds like the fans like Crezwin said maybe they caused the rest who knows and maybe its to late for a fan fix but if you are going to drive it id start with the test then the fan